Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 7730 conversion on stock 2.8  (Read 20526 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: 7730 conversion on stock 2.8
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 10:16:21 pm »
I bought it off a Pennocks member. It has a sinister chip in it that was tuned to a 3.4 .  I'm sure that's where the problem lies. But Ryan from sinister said the original owner's tune may not be too far from what i need, so he recommended to run it and see what happens. Well, now I've seen what happens, so I'm going to see if Ryan can do a fresh chip.

Idling like crap = several hunting (oscillating) idle....to the point of quitting.  It starts right back up immediately.

Hard to believe, but i haven't hooked to the aldl yet to see what it's doing exactly. So busy at work this week.

If it was tuned to a 3.4, the 3.4 was probably running 17# injectors.
If you're running a 2.8 with 15# injectors, you ought to at least be close. VERY close - with that "multec/disc" provision.
I disagree that it will run fine with pintle type injectors. It's really a crapshoot. It might, or might not. More than likely not. IMHO, of course. ;)

Regarding the ALDL scan... If you monitor your operating parameters, you should see the closed loop BLM running 128, or within a couple of points of that. If it's mostly good, but off only at idle, I would try changing injectors first.
Generally, if the number is significantly less than 128 (120 should be the minimum) the ECM is attempting to remove fuel. If the number is significantly higher, the ECM is attempting to add fuel. (I forget where it maxes out. I've changed it in a few cars, to allow the ECM to compensate for "too small" injectors.)

Edit - I saw your post on Pennocks, where Ryan answered. I posed my "injector" theory to him, as well.
If he says I'm off base, I'll bow to his experience. He's been doing this a LONG time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 10:49:09 pm by Raydar »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 11:36:58 pm »
I bought it off a Pennocks member. It has a sinister chip in it that was tuned to a 3.4 .  I'm sure that's where the problem lies. But Ryan from sinister said the original owner's tune may not be too far from what i need, so he recommended to run it and see what happens. Well, now I've seen what happens, so I'm going to see if Ryan can do a fresh chip.

Idling like crap = several hunting (oscillating) idle....to the point of quitting.  It starts right back up immediately.

Hard to believe, but i haven't hooked to the aldl yet to see what it's doing exactly. So busy at work this week.

I disagree that it will run fine with pintle type injectors. It's really a crapshoot. It might, or might not. More than likely not. IMHO, of course. ;)

I wasn't positive.  That's why I suggested consulting Ryan, too.  You've been playing with this stuff lots longer than me and much deeply involved.

If I recall correctly, the number you quoted me for the BLM high point was around 156 when maxed out?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 09:57:59 pm »
I saw Ryan's reply on PFF and it looks like he feels the pintel injectors are OK with the 7730.  Maybe a retune of the ECM for the 2.8 and any mods you've made. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 06:45:13 am »
I've submitted a service request for a chip burn, based on my rig. Three shift light is making me mad anyway. Plus, i was thinking that i might as well start fresh, then I'll know what I'm dealing with.
I tried to hook to the aldl, but couldn't get data. Do i need a resistor, or some kind of trigger to get data flowing?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:27 pm »
I saw Ryan's reply, too.
I think you are on the right track by having him build you a new tune, based on exactly what you're running.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 07:40:48 pm »
Shift lights are for easy drivers.  Drive by ear and the seat of your pants.  Those two will speak to you without having to take your eye off the road.  Pull the panel face plate and put a piece of black tape over it.  When you're autocrossing you don't have time to look at the shift light.  :) 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »
Ha ha. I just wanted it to work correctly. I'm a stickler for details. Everything, in my hands, gets PAINFULLY refined.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:19 pm »
A lot of us have always thought our 85GT's needed another gear.  Maybe it's a subliminal message?

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 06:36:59 am »
You read my mind! That's EXACTLY what i was thinking every time it illuminated....."If only I could shift ONE more time!"....

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 04:09:07 pm »
The new chip from sinister is in.......and........IT'S PERFECT!  No more hunting, throttle is fast, smooth, and predictable. I only had a couple hiccups where the p.o. of the harness i bought had spliced the fuel pump circuit monitor wire to ignition. The 7730 didn't like that. So i wired it correctly to the fuel pump command wire and its happy now.  The other was that there was no original prom installed on the moates adapter to accommodate limp mode. I placed the sinister chip that came with the ecm in that spot and installed my new sinister chip in the main spot.
 No codes, runs smooth.  If you let out the clutch a little, it will nudge the throttle up to accommodate the load. You can do this pretty quickly, like in a backing situation, and it won't let the motor die.  I'm impressed.
I have to say that my favorite part is startup, just a small flare and then settles down.
Even highway running is smoother.   Very nice.
Ron

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 05:25:46 pm »
The little throttle nudge may be a function of the automatic transmission programming. 

So, now, are you ready to do your first for-somebody-else conversion?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:51 pm »
The new chip from sinister is in.......and........IT'S PERFECT!
...I'm impressed.

Good. I really would have expected it to be very close.
Perfect is even better. :D

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 08:53:37 am »
I'm ready to tackle another one..
Perfect is what my seat of pants tells me, but i haven't been able to get tuner pro rt to hook up and read yet. I'm confused by all the different file types and there uses.  My cable is hooking up, showed power, tx and rx, but nothing on the tuner dash. 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 11:16:04 am »
Oops! Spoke too soon....got a 24 vss code today. Need to check my soldering......

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 03:23:36 pm »
Turns out, I egged out a couple terminals when plugging and unplugging the ecm sockets repeatedly in my ocd fit. I just removed all pins and reformed them back to original. All is well. I can see data with my new contraption I've pieced together and have to adjust a couple items.  The iac was at 0 steps, with no vacuum leaks, so I'll adjust the throttle plate stop and tps later, then do an iac reset. Almost finished!