Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: WOW! Wind blew hard last night. Pics of destruction  (Read 15984 times)

jwrape

• View Profile
WOW! Wind blew hard last night. Pics of destruction
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:51 am »
Last night we had some incredible winds in Monroe, GA (near Athens) . This has never happened before. It's moved around but never this much.

Here is what it normally looks like

and today!

Hard Wind

86GT Automaic 2.8L, 05, G35, 96 MZ3

Donster

• View Profile
Re: WOW! Wind blew hard last night. Pics of destruction
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:47 am »
Bad .............. but good that the Fiero stayed untouched! ;D

\D
Life is good!

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:54:04 am »
Bad .............. but good that the Fiero stayed untouched! ;D

\D

Yea, right!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:03 am »
I was out last night and the wind made it feel like practicing for RFTH.  Coming up I-85, a construction barrel came flying across.  Everyone managed to avoid it.  There were trash cans in the streets up around Donsters and big pieces of limbs in the road between Donsters and the house. 

Across the street from your rental in Ridgeland, my sister suffered a tree falling across the corner of her home. 

I've thought about setting up one of those canopies, but have also been concerned about how to effectively anchor it down.  Prevailing winds at my house would take it right over on top of my other cars if it should get lifted.  Looks like that rear fence post was the saving grace that kept yours from ending up in the trees. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:58 am »
I was out last night and the wind made it feel like practicing for RFTH.  Coming up I-85, a construction barrel came flying across.  Everyone managed to avoid it.  There were trash cans in the streets up around Donsters and big pieces of limbs in the road between Donsters and the house. 

Across the street from your rental in Ridgeland, my sister suffered a tree falling across the corner of her home. 

I've thought about setting up one of those canopies, but have also been concerned about how to effectively anchor it down.  Prevailing winds at my house would take it right over on top of my other cars if it should get lifted.  Looks like that rear fence post was the saving grace that kept yours from ending up in the trees.

Yea, the fence usually blocks it from most of the wind too. This is the first time it has ever moved this much. It WAS tied to the fence for this reason but I guess that let go when the wind grabbed it.

redraif

• View Profile
    • Indy SE #770 "Stormtrooper Edition"
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:24:15 pm »
I remember that night... at our side of town we were at a light and someones trash can came blowing in the middle of 19-41.  We were stopped at a light so I jumped out (patty was driving) and grabbed the can and shoved it into a nearby culvert.  It wedged in tight and stayed... lol... still there the next morning. 

So the covering missed hitting your fiero!  Awesome.  I remember at my first show at atlanta motor Speedway... I left the car overnight inside at Nopi.  Next morning it had a dent in it with a broken trash can next to it.  Another car had a collapsing tent on top of it flipped over.  Winds can get crazy!
1984 Modified Indy Fiero SE #770 "StormTrooper Edition"

Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45, 18x8, 39 offset , 84 WS6 springs -1.5 coils
Rear: 265/35, 18x8.5, 45 offset,  Coil-overs:  10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve