Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New anti-spam measures  (Read 20117 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New anti-spam measures
« on: December 11, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »
I have put in new anti-spam measures to reduce spam registrations. It seems to be working, as there haven't been any since making the change.
From now on, a new registrant will have to answer one of three questions, submitted at random.
The questions are:
1. What is your favorite car?
2. What was the first model year for Fiero?
3. Which GM division made Fieros?
Any bona-fide Fiero enthusiast should be able to give the correct answer to any of them. A spam robot, on the other hand, won't have a clue.

Donster

• View Profile
Re: New anti-spam measures
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:42 pm »
Nice, good job!
\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: New anti-spam measures
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:40:39 am »
I always wondered why we didn't have something like that, but I just figured it wasn't a feature of the bulletin board we use.  I as well as you two have been getting 200-300 spam registrations a day.  Yesterday I saw there were over 7000 registrations waiting to be approved.  I spent several hours banning UGGS, PLETCHER, CARPINTY AND ALL THEIR surrogates.  I did learn a little more about the board, though and found how to find a host of information that's not shown by the registration alone.

Suddenly the listing at the top of the page went to Zero members awaiting approval.  Wondered what happened because I knew what I was doing couldn't have been that effective.

Thanks, Pat.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers