Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Joel Project Weekend  (Read 22423 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Joel Project Weekend
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »
I'm okay with towing a dolly OR a trailer. Just let me know. I'll have to coordinate with She Who Must Be Obeyed, but other than that it shouldn't be an issue.
I'll need a tow bar and ball, but I already have a receiver and the wiring for whatever kind of towed device.

If someone wants to loan the club a trailer (Greg?) I have a safe place, behind a locked fence, to store it until arrangements can be made to return it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:26:36 pm by Raydar »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 08:51:15 pm »
I have a bit of good news on the 86SE.  Ray and I put jumpers on it today and the fuel pump works.  The engine has good clean oil in it.  Nice and clear and it has no water in the oil, so the engine hasn't frozen and cracked.  The brakes are a little sticky but it will roll when pushed. 

I popped in a headlight switch and only the right headlight will raise, but it won't go back down.  The left one does nothing.  By that time, I was working in the side reflection of a security light and couldn't get into the front to check headlight wiring connections.  I operated both motors manually and determined that the bumpstops in both are gone so the motors will need to be rebuilt.

After giving it a couple of shots of starting fluid, we got it to fire off again, and it continued to run on it's own.  We began getting lots of smoke from both front and rear of the engine, but I don't know if it' leaves or if the valve covers are leaking that badly.  We'll see tomorrow, if I have time. 

Should we go with the cars from Mike Barr, this 86SE might be one that the club could sell for some good parts.  The engine sounds good.  I never thought to pull it into gear to see how the automatic transmission reacted.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 09:29:38 pm »
They're talking about storms tomorrow. I think they should be gone by Saturday, but do we need to talk about a "what if..?"

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:36:56 pm »
The meeting isn't this Saturday.  It's the 12th.  A week from this Saturday.  Hope the storms are gone by then.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 09:52:37 pm »
DOH! Thank you. I was just painfully reminded of that. ("What?! I thought it was the second Saturday...")
Had my head firmly wedged up into a dark place.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 10:04:49 pm »
Of course, anyone who wants to get a head start is welcome this Saturday, too.  Just give me advance notice so I'm not still in bed when you get here. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 11:08:01 am »
Okay... Looks like I will not be able to make it this weekend.
My presence has been requested at my place of employment.  (One of those "offers that you can't refuse".)

I will, however, be available for other days/times to tow a trailer or dolley, as discussed, if that opportunity comes together.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:08 am »
Weather forecast for Friday, Saturday and Sunday calls for sunny with temps around 78 degrees. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 08:56:56 pm »
Some teasers of what we now have to work with in addition to the original 84 and the 86SE.
The Formula Fastback 5-speed.

The GT Automatic.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »
Scott Brown said that he has an Expedition and an available car hauler. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 10:36:57 pm »
I remember those cars. Dave's fastback Formula has a 3.4 with a nice thump to it. The first time I ever heard a lumpy cam through an Ocelot muffler. :D

I believe that Mike's car is an 87 instead of an 88. But it was quite nice, the last time I saw it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:49 pm »

I believe that Mike's car is an 87 instead of an 88. But it was quite nice, the last time I saw it.

It does have 87 rims on it.  I looked at some other pictures to see if they'd put both fronts on one side like another 88 I saw once.  I didn't really question it since he has another set of 88 rims that go with them.  84 or 88, as long as it's as good as these, I don't care.  These look like they really give us something to work with. 

MetalBlue85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 01:39:24 am »
I have a F150 That can tow I have a 2 inch ball on it I believe. Do I need to bring it from Acworth? Otherwise I will be in the Focus.

Anything else anyone need? Shade, extra chairs?

Randy
Randy ~ of Acworth

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 06:27:21 am »
Is the "pickup" going to happen on Saturday?
I mentioned that I will also be available at a later date. I need to come up with a tow bar and ball, but I've needed to do that, anyway.
I'll be off on Monday, after working Saturday. (Have to cover for someone...)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 07:41:29 am »
Both cars are in the Knoxville/Maryville, Tennesee area.  We will need to set our schedule for a weekend that everyone can get together.  With the number of trucks we have available, we should be able to get two of them on any Saturday.  We'll also have to coordinate that with Mike since he has to come from Gatlinburg.  Scheduling that can be done tomorrow.

Even though we have these two cars, tomorrow can be used to evaluate the 86SE that I have here to determine if we also want to refurbish it as another donor, raffle, or sale project.  I have to make contact with John Harbor who started the Joel Project to see what his desires are.  I've gotten no replies to emails, PM's, or phone calls, for the past 3 or 4 months.