Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: The Lightpole Hawk  (Read 14833 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Lightpole Hawk
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:07:35 am »
At the business park where I work, there is a hawk who likes to sit on a lightpole, and watch for squirrels and chipmunks below. He always sits on the same pole (I guess he claimed it).

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: The Lightpole Hawk
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »
Red Tail Hawks usually hunt in pairs when they're soaring above.  When they focus in on prey, they seem to see nothing else.  I've seen several over the years get hit by cars as they made a dive on an animal in the grassy highway medians.  I saw one up in the Commerce area that had a rabbit in it's claws, but couldn't take off.  It was in the northbound lane of 85 and wouldn't give up the rabbit to oncoming cars.  It didn't survive.  They're now a protected species.  When I was growing up, they were fair game to keep them from grabbing up free-running chickens or small puppies and kittens.  Even possessing a feather of a Red Tail Hawk now days can get you a hefty fine and or jail time. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Lightpole Hawk
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:00:07 pm »
There are quite a few hawks in the woods behind our house.
A while back there was just a pair, but we have seen several babies, too, that are now quite large.

There is also an owl. Big son of a gun.