Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: contemplating going topless  (Read 16634 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
contemplating going topless
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:32:58 am »
I'm contemplating a convertible conversion. I can't find any info on kits that are currently available and would like to pick the brain trust for direction.
Things i know thus far are limited to:
1) i have to reinforce and fabricate a sub-frame
2) i have to cut off the roof
3) i have to fabricate, or find a convertible frame and top
4) i have to be crazy
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: contemplating going topless
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:40 am »
I'm contemplating a convertible conversion. I can't find any info on kits that are currently available and would like to pick the brain trust for direction.
Things i know thus far are limited to:
1) i have to reinforce and fabricate a sub-frame
2) i have to cut off the roof
3) i have to fabricate, or find a convertible frame and top
4) i have to be crazy
Ron
5) must get household cfo approval
6) must be crazy

There probably aren't many subframes being built for the Fiero, any more.  There is the one owned by Firefly, and another that Raydar might direct you to.  Firefly and Cowspatoot are in the Charlotte area and the other out in the Westside 'Burbs, as Raydar calls them.  I believe both have AutoModa tops.  At least the one on the west side of Atlanta does. 

I believe it was Danyel on Pennocks who purchased a top or at least the frame for an AutoModa top and is trying to replicate the framework.  There have been several who've tried to copy it without success.  Try searching Pennocks for Auto Moda or automoda to see what comes up.  Maybe Greg could give you some information on the system that's on Sharon's convertible. 

This is the one out in the Douglasville, Ga. area.

And as an additional teaser:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:13:51 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:03:51 am »
Very nice duke! I like that fastback style of top.
I'll do the fabrication myself and i understand the subframe designs. The rocker panel mod should probably be combined with the cross bar belly mod and tied together for the best rigidity to reduce flex. There's a lot of stresses there. But looks like cowspstoot's holds up just fine, so maybe I'll give it a go.
The only thing I'm worried about will be the top design. It seems that there are complaints with the designs that are out to date. I might be better off stealing from another top, such as the solstice, or starting from scratch.
Ron

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 08:27:21 am »
Very nice duke!

Actually it's a Super Duty 4, and probably cranks out about 300 HP.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 03:43:08 pm »
Since this is the planning stages...

IMHO a folding top that forms a Pontiac emblem on the deck when its down would look cool.

One of the cars at the High Museum's Dream Car exhibit inspired this suggestion.  Wasn't a convertible, just the way the deck looked.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 11:28:52 pm »
Interesting idea. Are we talking a BIG Pontiac symbol or average sized?  I need to buy a book on origami.
Ron

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 07:41:51 pm »
Origami is a good place to start.  I'd say a BIG Pontiac symbol.  Then again, how big is a Fiero's rear deck? 
Picture the top going down and folding into a point aimed towards the rear. 

Now all you have to do is figure out how not to block the rear deck vents.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

aerodonamic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 10:14:56 pm »
Have you looked into the possibilty that one of the older British sport cars might have a top bow assembily that could be adapted to your needs?   Any good shop can make a cover for it. I would contact the MGB or Triumph or maybe Austin Healey clubs .

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 06:52:32 am »
yes, tr6 keeps popping up in searches, but no direct mention of anyone using the hardware. the problem is that the fiero is actually pretty wide for such a small car. the hardware would have to be widened. plus, a good portion of tops are designed to sink into a cavity or trunk.
Maybe a chop top cj5?
That's a great suggestion and I'll definitely check it out. We have monthly car shows here with really good turn out. I'll spend a day creeping around with a camera, gathering ideas.
Ron

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 08:48:41 am »
The looks of the top is deceptive.  It isn't a full folding top.  The front of the assembly is actually two hard panels covered with material.  They remove in the fashion of T-tops, leaving you with a Targa.  There/s not a center bar like the T-top cars.  I believe the Targa can be left up, or folded down for a full convertible.  The Targa section only comes up to the rear line of the window. 

If you could find something that fit the bill in front to rear length for the Targa portion, width wouldn't be the hard part to modify.  Modifying the hinge part might prove a more difficult issue. 

Then cast the front panels out of fiberglass and cover them.  You'd need to find the right combination of seals for it.  Cowspatoot sometimes has a problem with the panels leaking into their laps. 

I've read that some have a problem with the engine heat being pulled back to the passenger compartment and swirling around the occupants' heads.  That might be solved in one of two methods.  I saw some pictures of a prototype and the grill had been redesigned into something of a triangle so that the buttresses didn't sit on top of the grills.  But still those grills are directly behind the driver's head.  An extractor deck scoop might help to exhaust the air further back toward the rear of the car and the original grills could be made solid. 

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/070673.html
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers