Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Updated: Don Hulse  (Read 25678 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Updated: Don Hulse
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:25:26 pm »
It pains me to report that Don (AeroDonamic) went into hospice care, earlier today.
If anyone would care to visit, he is in Tranquility At Cobb. It's behind the Wellstar Cobb Hospital on Austell Rd at the East West Connector. Visiting hours are unrestricted.
I visited with him for a while, this evening, but he was not awake.

I don't really know anything more, but if anyone wants to contact me, I can be reached at seven-seventy--threesixtyone--seventynine-sixtyeight. Between 8 AM and 10 PM please. (If you call during working hours, and I don't answer, it's because I'm in the middle of something. Please leave a message on the voicemail.)
Or email at raydarfieroatcomcastdotnet.

Here's a picture of Don at the 30th.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:38:34 pm by Raydar »

Tinkerbell

Re: Don Hulse in Hospice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 11:21:14 pm »
So sad.  Don and his family are in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for the info, Steve.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 12:41:24 pm »
I first came to know about Don when Ed Parks of The Fiero Factory told me about him. He said there was no need to travel from East Georgia all the way to Huntsville for minor Fiero work because we had one of the best Fiero mechanics right here in the Atlanta area. Namely, Don Hulse.

I had purchased my first Fiero in '93 and soon found it was in need of a clutch replacement. A local garage replaced it and within 80 miles the transmission came apart due to their putting 80 w 90 weight gear oil into it. Later at a Fiero Factory Swap Meet was when I was told about Don. The next clutch job went to him, and little did I know at the time that he'd never done a clutch replacement. He often told me that other than routine maintenance of his own, he cut his teeth on dropping a cradle and engine by using my Fiero as a guinea pig. He performed the task with the skill of a master surgeon. Just recently he went through the suspension of one of my cars. While he was working on it, he told me that he cut his teeth on my Fiero and he was ending his career with my Fiero. I am truly honored and blessed.

Even though it was a 150 mile round trip for me, I frequently took my cars to him. In part because his prices on parts and labor were unbeatable, but most of all because of his knowledge and love for the car. Don could tell you just about anything about the Fiero, right down to where you would find screws that were used nowhere else on the car, and the specs of those screws. When the car came back, everything was in place as it should have been from the dealer, even if it was something that he wasn't working on. He would often clean areas of the car that was nowhere near the area he was working, just to make the car look better. If Don only did what you had asked him to do, you always left with more than what you paid for, but he always gave you more beyond what you were expecting.

Don also loved his Karaoke. As the saying goes, "You can't judge a book by looking at it's cover." This might have been originated in describing Don. You would never expect to hear the wonderful sounds coming form him when he got on stage. A great voice. One that he exercised anytime he had the chance. He eventually expanded his theatre from the karaoke stage to the church choir and was very passionate about that role.

Don has battled various illnesses for about as long as I've known him. Unless he told you, you would never know it. He was always upbeat, seizing upon a simple word in something you said and cracking a joke about it. Never did he groan and complain about his health issues. Even when he confided, he didn't complain. I remember when he was returning from a doctors visit and learning of the eventual outcome. He called me to tell me that the news wasn't good, but he wasn't worried. He said he had made his peace with his Savior and he was going to spend the rest of his time doing what he liked to do. Spending time enjoying his Fiero Club, his Fiero, his Friends and his Family.

The Georgia Fiero Club participated in the Dublin, Ga. St. Patrick's Day Parade on March 21. For Don and his son, this would prove to be a day that would start at 5am and end around 9pm. Even though Don had already been told that he needed to go into hospice care, he declined. He said that he wanted to do one last event with his club, and spend his birthday and wedding anniversary with his family. He accomplished what he wanted to do.

Don, we will miss you but never forget you.   :'(

I would like to do a special farewell salute to Don at the time of his passing. If anyone would like to participate with their Fiero, please contact me through our club email at GeorgiaFieroClub "at" Gmail.Com
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:29:24 pm »
All... I just received word from Charlie that Don passed last night.
I don't have any more info right now. He is going to call and try to find out about arrangements.
He or I will post here as info becomes available.

I wish you peaceful travels, my friend.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Updated: Don Hulse
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 07:06:53 pm »
I just spoke with Patsy.
As I suspected, she was being inundated with calls.
She seems to be doing okay.

She said that she doesn't have a clue as to any arrangements. She's shooting for next weekend (the weekend after Easter) but that depends on a lot of things...

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
I spoke with Darrel and the plans are that Don will be cremated and later taken to Thomaston, Ga. for burial.  The Fiero Salute and Farewell will take place at the burial site in Thomaston. 

As Raydar and I know more details and times, we will post.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:01:36 am »
Nancy and I send our most sincere condolences to Patsy and Darrell and (sorry, can't remember their daughter's name) and extended family.

Don left an indelible impression on me, and everyone in the Club, I'm sure. His endless stream of puns and humor used to leave me laughing so hard I could barely take a breath, and his unending energy was admirable and courageous.

Above all, Don was a kind man. This showed in his professional and personal relationships and actions.

Thanks for everything, and Rest In Peace, our dear friend; you have sure earned it.

Best,
Tim
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

slowburn57

• View Profile
    • Culver Brothers Racing
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 12:25:47 pm »
Rest in peace Don.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:51 pm »
My daughter Melissa (MsDitchDoc) asked if I would post this for her.

"Sad day for the Hulse family and the Georgia Fiero Club. Don was a legend in his own right. He was the guru of fixing Fieros. (He helped me out countless times.) He never met a stranger and always made you feel welcomed. I am sure he is in heaven showing God how to fix his Fiero. May his family and friends find comfort in knowing his legacy lives on through the lives he touched."

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »
In Memory: Donald Lee Hulse, 70, of Douglasville

Donald “Don” Lee Hulse, age 70 of Douglasville, passed away Tuesday, March 31, 2015. He was born March 27, 1945 in Margaretville, NY. He was a veteran of the United States Army and retired from Eastern Foods as a mechanic. Mr. Hulse was a member of Chapel Hill Road Baptist Church.

He is survived by his wife, Patsy Dykes Hulse; son, Darrell Hulse; and daughter, Heather Hulse; four grandchildren and one great grandchild; sisters, Jackie Wayman, Gloria Albriton, and Dorothy Wayman.

In accordance with his wishes, his body will be cremated and a memorial service will be held at a later date at Chapel Hill Road Baptist Church.

You may share your thoughts and condolences online at www.hightowersmemorial.com.

Hightower’s Memorial Chapel, Douglasville, has charge of the arrangements. 770-489-2818

http://patch.com/georgia/douglasville/memory-donald-lee-hulse-70-douglasville-0

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 05:18:37 pm »
Thanks Patti.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:18:20 pm »
A service will be held on Saturday April 11 at 3PM. 
For that reason, our monthly meeting will be moved up to 11AM.  See the notice elsewhere.

4391 Chapel Hill Rd, Douglasville, GA 30135

Internment will be at a later date to be announced.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 10:58:02 pm »
The club will be sending flowers to the service.  If anyone would like to add to what the club is providing, please call me before Wednesday afternoon, April 8.  I will be ordering on the morning of April 9.   six 7 ate, fore 6 seven, won 7 fore too.

If you prefer to send your own arrangement, Hightower Memorial Chapel, Broad Street in Douglasville is in charge of arrangements.  Services will be at Chapel Hill Road Baptist Church, Chapel Hill Road, Douglasville on the 11th. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:18:10 am by Fierofool »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 05:32:16 pm »
We received a Card from The Hulse Family thanking us for the flowers the club sent. 

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 10:44:26 am »
I have tears in my eyes and hate living overseas, as I would have loved to pay my respect to a dear and wonderful friend.
Our hearts are aching here in Germany.
Life is good!