Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Remembering Don Hulse  (Read 23818 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Remembering Don Hulse
« on: May 02, 2015, 11:01:08 am »
I searched through my pictures from several years back, and found some of Don. Here they are...

2010 Pontiacs in Pigeon Forge show

A club Christmas party

Lunch at a Run For The Hills

Working on the Warrior car
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Remembering Don Hulse
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:11:28 pm »

At RFTH # 13 in his trademark shorts and hat.

Don at the Fiero 30th Anniversary Show
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:38:56 am »
Don at that 30th, checking out the Fiero Warehouse display.

gregm329

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:41:24 pm »
     I'm a new member of the Georgia Fieros, thank you for having me! I got here because Raydar and I have become on-line friends.  Raydar tells me that I got to know Don Hulse on only one night of his long, illustrious life, and I wanted to make a permanent record of how I remember that day.  I'm sure many of you have heard this story, here's my version.
     The year is 2005.  I'm in Douglasville, GA because wifey and I are returning from the Fiero Factory in my '88 Formula that just got the 4.9 Caddy V8 conversion. We had just visited my old friend from Florida, Alexander Rakstis, and we are heading
back to my brother's house, also in the Atlanta area.
      So we are at a stop light in Douglasville, the V8 conversion is approximately 2 days old, and I look out the passenger window, and I see smoke billowing forth.  Turns out the air conditioning system has sprang a leak.
      We pull into the nearby Chickfilla parking lot.  I'm 56 years old, in a strange town, not prepared to do auto repairs, but we use common sense and call AAA.  It is a Saturday, and I am questioning who we are going to find to repair the car on a weekend.
      AAA pretty much failed us!  Let's guess it was noon when the car broke.  We spent the whole afternoon waiting in the Chickfilla parking lot!  We of course called AAA from time to time, trying to find out what the hold-up was.
      Cut to the chase -  a young police officer who was on disability (from an on-duty accident) and his wife came by and showed interest in our plight, and he offered to try to fix our car. When AAA finally showed up, we had the car towed to his house.
       I guess Don was a secondary player in this action - the police officer must have called him.  I do remember that when it became time for the grateful repairees to write checks to compensate the volunteers for saving our butts, Don claimed he was due no compensation.....
        That was the only time I ever met Don Hulse. My best rememberance is of him holding a thermometer, measuring the temperature of the air coming out of my dash board vents.
         Then we drove back to Vero Beach, Florida, only to be run over by two medium-strength hurricanes within 2 weeks of each other. But thats another story......
          May Don rest in peace.  When two out-of-towners needed him, he was there for us.  Forever grateful.   

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:51:44 pm »
Welcome, and thanks for sharing that awesome story!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:19:35 pm »
What a lovely tribute to Don!

Glad you made it here, Greg. We have a good time. Welcome!

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 07:10:52 pm »
I remember don as one of the nicest guys I ever met. he knew more about fieros than anyone I ever met. the picture with the antlers reminded me that I bought that green hat for him cause he said he never could find one the color of his car. don I miss you at every meeting or whenever  the guys and gals are together. god bless
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

carnut122

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 03:40:30 pm »
Don never met a stranger.  I've run into Don on many different occasions. Whether it was a club meeting, the swap meet, or RFTH, Don was always more than willing to offer a smile and engage in conversation. Don always had some bit of wisdom, sarcasm, or a pun to share.  While driving at the RFTH, I always tried to get in behind Don as I knew that I'd have my hands full, but that he would never lead me across that ragged edge.  I missed Don at the last RFTH, but somehow I'm sure he's carving clouds in a Fiero.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:56:25 pm »
This is what forums like this are about--sharing our passion and comradery.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 07:59:00 am »