Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: So... where does everybody buy their 84-87 brake calipers?  (Read 15361 times)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Like the title says...
I'm accustomed to doing 88 stuff. I'm still learning about the earlier cars.

Can anyone recommend a good source for the earlier calipers (and Wagner Thermoquiet pads, too, if they're available.)
Obviously, I'm leaning towards the usual parts store pieces, but if someone has had a particular good (or bad) experience, I'd appreciate the info.
Does anyone buy just the pistons and kit and rebuild their own? (It almost doesn't seem worth it, except that I want to get away from the plastic/phenolic pistons.)
Only need fronts, right now. Got one that wants to drag a little. 

Thanks.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: So... where does everybody buy their 84-87 brake calipers?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:42:25 pm »
Rock Auto has A-1 Cardone calipers with metal pistons.  They're semi-loaded, whatever that means.  Maybe just one pad?  :D

They also have Raybestos but it doesn't tell what the pistons are.  My computer blocks when I click on the Info button. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 08:35:21 pm »
Thanks!
In my scattered-ness, I didn't even check the caliper section. Just the kits/bits/pieces section.
Just ordered a pair of calipers. They come with all the hardware, but no pads. And metal pistons.

Seems like the Wagner Thermoquiets are out of production. Had to order them from somewhere in West Bumblefrack, off of Amazon.
In any event, I should have all the stuff by next weekend. I hope.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:32:19 pm »
Yeah, I didn't see any Thermo-Quiets for the front, but they still have them for the rear.  Do you know how they compare to the Quick-Stops?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 11:04:35 pm »
I really don't have any comparison. I have Thermoquiets on my truck and on my G6, and really like them. They tend to "dust" a little bit, but I've seen worse. Strangely enough, the ones on the G6 tend to squeak, occasionally. Unless it's the old pads that are on the back. Haven't changed those, yet. (The windows have always been up when it squeaked, so it was hard to tell...)
I got the Thermoquiets after reading a ton of threads on Pennocks, and probably starting at least one.

Also, the pads on the front of my 88 are "factory". I bought the NOS "loaded" front calipers from Calipers Online, and decided to leave the stockers in place to see how they worked, in comparison to the aftermarket. They work okay. The car stops. :D
They make a LOT of dust, though.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 02:03:55 pm »
I have used Advance Auto and Auto Zone in the past. Usually use the pads that they carry at either one with good luck.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »
I can't remember stock 84-87 brakes (except that I didn't like them), since my 86 didn't have stock brakes, and my other cars are 88's, but I like NAPA pads on them, either Performer or Premium.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 06:40:15 am »
Thanks all!. Got my calipers from Rockauto and the pads from some entity on Amazon. (Washington Auto in Jersey?)
Seemed to be the last set of Thermoquiets in the world...