Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Monthly Cruise-Ins at Sonic or Dairy Queen  (Read 27887 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Monthly Cruise-Ins at Sonic or Dairy Queen
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:19:49 pm »
Members present at the December 2015 meeting discussed and voted on a monthly Cruise-In at a Sonic Restaurant or Dairy Queen Restaurant.

We will meet at a different location at 12 noon on the 4th Saturday of each month, beginning January 23, 2016.  We will begin on the East Side of Georgia, working our way around the northern half of Georgia, north of a line roughly between Augusta and Columbus. 

The selected location for January 2016 is
Sonic Restaurant
3980 GA 17Alt, Eastanollee, GA 30538   (Toccoa)

It's located about 5 miles north of I-85 Exit 173 on Ga. Hwy 17 at the intersection of Business and By-pass 17, at the front of the WalMart SuperCenter.   Though it faces Hwy 17, the entrance is off WalMart Court.

All Fiero Enthusiasts and 2-passenger sports car enthusiasts are invited to join us.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:22:33 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Cruise-Ins at Sonic or Dairy Queen
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:05:58 pm »

May I suggest a Cruise-In at Yesterday's Cafe in Greensboro, GA?

Greensboro is roughly an hour from the CSRA (GA Fiero Club Far East), Eastern Atlanta, and even closer to Athens.  No Sonic, but I've eaten at Yesterday's Cafe in Rutledge and highly recommend the buttermilk pie.   There's a DQ on the way into Greensboro from I-20.

Now to find the time...
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 05:54:33 pm »
We will be at a different location each month, moving clockwise around the state.  Our hope is that our members will attend more than just the location at their front door.  Every location will be at least a two hour drive for us in the Atlanta area.  The Toccoa or suggested Greensboro location will be at least seven hours for ronzrx. 

The hope is to expose our cars to more of the public and attract new members.  The more cars we have, the more visible we are.  I'd hate to schedule one in Augusta and only two cars showed up because everyone up here felt it was too far to drive. We understand that not everyone can attend all but we hope most will attend at least half of them.

I plan to hit larger cities because there is more exposure and probably more Fieros.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 06:39:08 pm »
My wife's excited about getting me out of the house!  I'm excited to get out of the house!  My Fieros excited to get out of the house too!
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 04:13:21 pm »
I spoke with the assistant general manager today (Manager is out of town) and they are very receptive to us meeting there.  They are going to put up a notice that Georgia Fieros invites all sports cars to attend a cruise in on January 23 at 12 Noon.  This will go up on their big marquee sometime around the second week of January, so the event should get a lot of exposure. 

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 06:14:01 pm »
Does This Sonic Have Indoor Seating ?
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 06:42:19 pm »
I don't think so but if you search the address on Google maps and do a street view you should be able to see.  I'm at church right now and can't check for you.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 05:31:13 pm »
I want to toss this idea out and see what anyone thinks. 

Instead of going clockwise from our starting point in Toccoa, so that the people on the west side of the state don't have to travel so far each month, then later in the year, it's the east side of the state that has to travel the distance, what about the February meeting being somewhere on the west side, then March on the SE side of Georgia, May on the NW side, and so on.  That way every other month, it would be closer to a broader spectrum of our members.

For this to be successful, it's going to take more than 1 or 2 cars showing up at each event.  People may just drive on by but if there's 4, 5, o5 6 Fieros sitting there, we will be more visible and maybe stir some interest. 

Who was the person that suggested this in the survey.  Chime in with your thoughts, please. 

GrannyLinda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 05:45:41 pm »
Sounds Good To Me, As Long As The People On
The East Side Will Go West And Vise Verse.
Eventually We Will Meet In The Middle.     
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 09:54:39 am »
Fiero gatherings are a great idea.  But honestly, I'm not going to drive 2+ hours each way for Sonic/DQ.

Instead of large gatherings, may I suggest concentrating on small, four or more car gatherings that are only an hour-or-so away from a group?  Awhile back I plotted the cities where many of the active members are located.  Not surprisingly, the center of gravity was near Atlanta. 

This gives us the opportunity to, as FieroFool said, have gatherings.  I suggest we try to plot them within an hour North, South, East, and West of Atlanta.  Without actually checking distances, Gainesville, Greensboro, Macon, Rome, etc would be good locations.  I'm sure there are more.

Arrange a meeting when you have 4 commitments.

Anyone up for Greensboro between Christmas & New Years or some time in January?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 11:23:22 am »
Not knowing the intent of the original poster's suggestion, we thought it a good opportunity to bring in new members from outlying areas.  Our members over the years have ranged from Fayetteville, Charlotte, Vale, Hendersonville, Miller Creek, and Murphy, NC, southward through Salem and Aikens, SC, Augusta to Macon to Columbus to Douglasville, Cartersville, Canton, Waleska to Ringgold to Calhoun, Ga, to Chattanooga, Athens and Niota, Tn.  And don't forget Huntsville and Athens, Alabama.  All of people regularly attended monthly meetings and events and all were more than an hour away.  They have slowly dwindled away due to selling their Fieros or family or financial matters. 

We've always held our meetings on the outskirts of Atlanta, at a set location so that anyone newly interested will know where they can meet up with us.  Moving the regular meeting around each month would probably lose more attendees than we would gain.  We know that there are lots of Fieros in Georgia and they aren't just centered in the Atlanta area.  This can be confirmed by the number of sightings in the thread "Have you seen a Fiero, Today".  Some know about Georgia Fieros but only want to be involved with us when they need something.  They don't come back until they need something else.  Others know of us but just aren't joiners or we're beneath their status.  Puzzles me because they also drive Fieros. 

Most of us started out with our Fieros not being in the best of cosmetic or mechanical condition.  That need for parts and help has brought most of our members together in a common comradeship.  Sure, I can drive one of my Fieros less than an hour and give it a good workout on some curves.  Lots of fun.  Most of us up this way can do the same, but it's much more fun to do it with a half dozen or more, or just to take a nice cruise together up the interstate to meet other Fiero owners or to visit some historical or tourist site. 

We felt that the Sonics were a place that doesn't mind car people hanging out and milling around.  You can't do that at a Cracker Barrel or Golden Corral.  Maybe we'll also get around to hitting The Varsity in the Downtown Atlanta and Athens or Norcross, Ga. areas, too. 

Yesterday, I spoke with the General Manager at the Sonic.  She said that there were local merchants that may provide door prizes for the attendees.  I will see if I can elicit the same from the other locations (not necessarily Sonic or DQ) as we rotate around the state, including something in the Augusta area. 

Robs Fieros

• President of the East Tennessee Fiero Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 03:45:25 pm »
I might come down there for this.
President of East Tennessee Fiero Club

GrannyLinda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 01:38:06 pm »
Well Then Come On Down !
It Will Be Great To See You !
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 09:48:20 pm »
As your president for this year, I have been trying to come up with a way to grow membership. We own and drive a very unique car. This ideal of a cruise - in is something that I have been wanting to do for a while. That Sonic is one of the few places that will let a club hang around for a few hours is one of the reasons that it was chosen to meet at for these cruises. Most fast food places that I know of ( or sit down type places for that matter) would rather you came in , got your food and left as turn around is where they make their money. I , as president, chose to use this as a way to get people to see our cars on the road. I have posted this on 4 different facebook pages and it is also posted on Pennocks. Get the cars out, let others see them, hopefully , other Fiero owners will see us and join us for the day and maybe join our club. Getting out with your car and driving it will let others know that Fieros are still out there. 
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 07:53:36 am »
Print and bring lots of Georgia Fiero Club cards.