Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: No BRAKES!  (Read 14538 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
No BRAKES!
« on: October 19, 2016, 06:16:47 pm »
I was on the highway, driving along in the left lane, minding my own business.  Speed limit is 75MPH, so moving along.  I passed some slowpoke Jeep that was in my lane, doing about 50MPH.  Traffic was heavy, so I stepped on it a bit getting around the Jeep (didn't want to hold the guy in the the lane to the right up), then hit the brakes when I cut back left, so I didn't run into the guy ahead of me.  All I got was a woosh!  The brake pedal went to the floor, and I may as well have tried stopping with my breath.

I downshifted (engine braking is illegal there, but better than an accident, I suppose), and worked my way to the right lane.  It was another 10 miles to my exit, so hazards and minimum speeds it was.  Since the area wasn't familiar to me, I worried about getting stopped for the exit.  I managed to get through the exit, to a parking lot without incident.

This is the second booster that has done this to me.  It was explained to me that one of the diaphragms fails.  Doesn't help me stop any better.

If this happens to you, put the transmission in neutral when stepping on the brake.  Stepping on the brake effectively creates a vacuum leak, which causes the engine to rev, which is counter-productive to stopping.  The e-brake isn't much help.

Some Fiero guys here may have figured out my inconsistent braking problem: the calipers are frozen, or some such thing.  Basically, when cold, the brakes are almost through the floor to get any braking, but when warm, the slightest touch will about put you through the windshield.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: No BRAKES!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:11:43 pm »
If the pedal goes to the floor, it's not a booster problem. Could be air in the hydraulics. Or just out of brake fluid.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:17 am »
The brake pedal had some encouragement in going to the floor.

Either way, the brake lines, brake hoses, and calipers will be replaced, along with a fluid flush.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:43:39 am »
"The brake pedal went to the floor" gives a whole new meaning to "putting the pedal to the metal".  I had that happen to me once in my old '54 Olds, as I crossed the finish line at over a hundred mph.  Blew a wheel cylinder.  Those cars didn't have split brake systems.  Gears and emergency brakes don't fail me, now. 

Second booster has done this?  Same identical symptoms?  Where are you getting your boosters?  What brand?  May be something for everyone to avoid. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:52:23 pm »
We won't go down that road.  I was just posting for anyone who had this happen.  No one else will be getting the boosters I had.  We'll leave it at that.

Bottom line, stepping on the brakes with the car in gear will make the car accelerate.  Even from a stop, if the car is in gear, stepping on the brake when the booster has failed will make the car go.

You can easily identify this particular problem, because of the air flow through that opening behind the brake pedal that the banjo bolt goes through.  The whoosh is very audible, even over your own intake when it happens.  The experience is startling.  There is no warning I've found, and really don't care to repeat the experience.  Pressing the pedal to the floor with the tranny out of gear will eventually bring the car to a stop, but eventually is the operative word.  Pumping the pedal does not help.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:09:10 pm by tshark »