Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My old '86 SE Fiero  (Read 14917 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
My old '86 SE Fiero
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:02:02 pm »
I found some old pics.

These were in the wrong place, with the wrong date on them.  This car was long gone by 2014, but the pics were dated August 8, 2014.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:11:36 am by tshark »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: My old Fiero
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:28 pm »
I replaced the ICM and alternator.  I fixed all the bad grounds and replaced a lot of bad connectors.  I replaced all 4 wheel hubs, and the dust shields.  I replaced everything to do with the brakes (including everything from the ebrake handle back, and the hardware, lines and hoses) and suspension (including bushings and end links), replaced everything to do with the headlights, replaced all bulbs, replaced the sail panels and emblems, replaced all sensors, and replaced all the instrumentation.  I replaced the broken interior trim pieces and the seat tracks.  I replaced the carpet in the cabin and trunk.  I cut out the trunk and rebuilt it in its entirety, including the frame rails.  I removed the rear bumper and fixed the rust.  I replaced the engine and transmission mounts, and the steering dampner.  I fixed the rather severe tow and camber issues in the rear.  I recovered the headliner, and replaced the radio.  I replaced the steering wheel, and all cruise components.  I replaced the power window and lock motors, as well as the switches and mount plates.  I restored the door panels.  I secured the heat shield against the trunk.  I refurbished the blower motor in the trunk.  I replaced the door, ignition, and trunk locks.  I refinished the decklid vents.  I replaced the decklid vent screws.  I replaced the front control arms.  I replaced the cross-member and front sway bar.  The paint was terrible, and the clear-coat was mostly gone, so I started sanding down the body and filling scratches and holes.  I replaced the plugs and wires, and lots of seals.  I replaced the distributor, rotor, and cap.  Unfortunately, some oil still dripped.  No loss on the stick between oil changes, but drips on the concrete.  I took it in for an inspection, and they crushed the coolant tubes.  They also loosened the bolts on the thermostat housing.  I didn’t discover this until later.  Anyway, the car got low on coolant, overheated, and the coolant boiled out the overflow from the tank.  I tried to fix the various issues, but couldn’t ever get the issue with the coolant fixed, mainly because I didn’t know about the tubes or the loose housing.  I lowered the cradle, and discovered more rust behind the wheel wells.  I made some effort to fix this, but my wife was done with the car, because she’d been stranded in it several times.  I failed to find replacements for the broken dash vents, and one broken end cap.  The intake tube had duct tape on it (probably from the recall), and I was unable to find a good one.

The pictures above were about 6 months after purchase.

You can see the sail panels and side emblems neatly in place.  I don't remember it looking this nice.  I remember it all sanded down.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:48:26 pm by tshark »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:51:43 pm »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 06:11:48 pm »
I know I said I was over it, but I still really like the look of this Fiero.  I know those tires aren't stock sizes, but I think the stance is awesome.  Maybe the car sets a bit lower than my '88.