Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Harmonic Balancer Rebuild or Replacements  (Read 15025 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Harmonic Balancer Rebuild or Replacements
« on: March 28, 2017, 07:42:06 pm »
Drewbdo and I have been addressing his various problems with the Testarossa.  The plans are to replace the timing set, crankshaft seal, water pump and harmonic balancer.  You may know that the Fiero V6 harmonic balancer is no longer available through normal retail markets. 

I found out that if you have a 60*  V6 engine, you must use an neutrally balanced harmonic balancer.  Thanks, TopNotch  That means that it can be a Fiero or early 80's 2.8 harmonic balancer, like from the Camaro, El Camino, or Citation, Beretta, J6000, Cavalier V6, S10 or S15 or equivalent.  With any of these substitutes, you will need to have new timing marks cut. 

Again, you must have new timing marks cut for these balancers.  Finding someone who can properly cut the timing mark for use in a Fiero can be nearly impossible.  Not totally, but nearly impossible. 

I've consulted two automotive machine shops and neither had any idea of where the timing mark should be, nor had any idea of how to find out.  One shop said that if they had the old balancer, they could bolt it to the new one and transcribe the mark.  All well and good if your old ring hasn't slipped, but do you know it hasn't after 25-30 years?  Don't take the chance. 

I spoke with Raydar about the balancers, and he gave me a link to a place in California named Damper Doctors.  It's a large company and well respected by many on Pennocks.  They will sell you a balancer, or rebuild yours.  So, I gave them a call.

I explained that Drewbdo had purchased a 3.4 balancer from Summit and we needed some information on what degree off the keyway center to have a local machinist cut the timing mark.  About an hour later, a tech called back and said they didn't know.  They use a fixture to rebuild them, but they don't know how many degrees off the keyway center. 

I told the local machine shop that I was trying to find a stock balancer for him to use as a template and he suggested I call another company in California with a similar name as Damper Doctors.  They are the DAMPER DUDES.  530-365-2144

So, I gave them a call.  The man who answered listened to what we were doing and the information we needed.  He walked somewhere in the shop or warehouse, said he had a Fiero balancer in his hand, and in a half minute gave me the information we needed.  He understood the positioning of non-Fiero 60* V6 timing marks and was aware that the Fiero mark was common only to the Fiero.  He admitted he didn't know what the other two smaller marks were for. 

So, there are 4 messages I want to convey in this post,.

1.  Order a rebuilt or new balancer from either Damper Doctors, 530-246-2984 or Damper Dudes, 530-365-2144.  You won't have to have new timing marks cut.
2.  Use a  neutrally balanced balancer for 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 and all 60* V6 engines.
3.  Something I learned today.  Mark your pulley in reference to the keyway before removing it from the balancer.  It must go back in the same position to maintain proper balance.  This is per balancer manufacturers.  (Honestly, I don't see this as a problem because there are no signs of weights added or metal removed to balance the pulley.)
4.  The center of the timing mark for the Fiero is approx 5-7* counter-clockwise from the centerline of the keyway[/b].  This variance may be the reason some cars run better at 8* BTDC and others at 12* BTDC. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:54:59 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Harmonic Balancer Rebuild or Replacements
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:49:37 pm »
Hmmm.  Too late for mine, but if you get your 2.8 apart, should you replace the harmonic balancer, or where does the ”don't take a chance” come in?

It never occurred to me to replace this.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:30:41 pm »
From the GM 60 Degree V6 Power Manual....

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:12:27 am »
From the GM 60 Degree V6 Power Manual....

Thank you for the correction. 

Tshark, if the balancer is being replaced as a normal part of your project, don't take a chance with transferring the mark from the old one to the new one.  Have a machine shop use the proper degree wheel to locate the new mark.  That's just in the event that the old one has slipped, then your new one would be wrong, too.  You might do just as well to have the old one rebuilt.  In the long run it would be cheaper than the cost of a new one and the machine shop cost of cutting a new timing mark. 

The Fiero timing is set at 10*, but the keyway is not at the 12 o'clock position when the timing mark is at TDC, so don't have the mark cut at 10* counterclockwise of the keyway. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:45:50 am by Fierofool »

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:41:42 am »
All dampers are neutrally balanced...

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 02:19:47 pm »
So, is a "torsional damper" the same thing as a "harmonic balancer"?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:58:12 pm »
So, is a "torsional damper" the same thing as a "harmonic balancer"?

Yes.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:48:23 pm »
I have always understood that the early dampers were the same as the 88s, but I have heard lots of differing opinions.
As soon as I find my 22P (how does one lose a 25lb book the size of a toaster oven?) I'll look them up.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 12:12:15 am »
Page 15 of the P22, lists 85-88 2.8 Dampener as Part Number 14102508, so they are all the same.  I checked further and the crankshaft and flywheel are different for the 88, but the balancer is the same. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 12:06:27 pm »
Thanks Charlie.