Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I did it, again  (Read 14770 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
I did it, again
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:31:39 pm »
I've done it before, and it really causes problems of one sort or another, but it's always been grown adults before.  This time, I hit a young deer with my truck.  The impact was loud.  Initial impact was apparently with the running board.  The deer was spun around, caught by the rear wheel, and thrown.  I'd seen 2 adults in a field and slowed down, but the youngster caught me by surprise.  I was going about 40 in a 60.  I saw the 3 deer all run across the road together, including the youngster, who seemed more dazed than hurt.  There was no damage to my truck that I could find, nor any hair or skin or blood.

I've hit and killed more deer than I'd like to admit to, but all in the same 5-mile stretch of highway.  This youngster was about 80 miles from there.  I actually drove my truck over a deer once, and watched as it slowly stood up and walked away.  Amazing, after my 3-ton vehicle drove over the animal.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:17:09 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: I did it, again
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:12:45 pm »
I managed to not hit 2 deer today.  The first one darted back out of harm's way.  I just got a glimpse of the deer.  The second one was big.  I came to a complete stop about 20 feet from it.  The deer stared at me for about a minute.  I tried my horn to no avail.  Just about the time I was considering another course of action, the wind blew toward the deer, probably carrying the scent of my dog with it, because the dog was in the bed of the truck.  Or, it could have been the dog's whine; he did not bark.  I need to get more deer whistles.  I don't know if they work or not.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 08:47:54 pm »
Just call me The Deerslayer.  I managed to hit another one.  This particular deer was good-sized.  I was on the highway, at highway speeds.  When I hit the deer, it came up above my hood.  The deer apparently stayed on the front of the car for 150 feet or so, then fell off and went under the wheels.  It was dark, so I did not look back.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:22:05 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 08:05:42 am »
I hit another deer, about 4am.  As I was rounding a turn, I saw something jump.  A foot or something hit my roof.  I have a dent in my roof.  The deer was thrown into the bed of the truck, went over the tailgate, and landed on the road.  It appeared that several legs were broken.  The tow strap proved adequate to move the deer off of the road, although the deer was not thrilled with that process.  I only had my pocket knife with me, and was not motivated to get close enough to put the deer down with that, so I left the deer on the side of the road.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 05:15:03 pm »
He would have looked good in the freezer

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 05:56:27 pm »
It is not deer season.  Still have deer jerky from last season.  Maybe 60 pounds.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 04:35:41 pm »
If you hit and kill one out of season they won't let you keep it rather than have it rot on the side of the road?

I assume not since they impound Fiero's for not having a back seat!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 04:48:54 pm »
I saw a Northwoods Law episode where a truck hit a deer.  They let him keep the deer because he had a hunting license, but he had to use his deer tag. 

When we lived in New England we went up to the camp in Maine for hunting every year.  Back then, the rule was that if you struck a deer or moose, you had the choice of getting the meat or having your vehicle fixed.  Whether you had a hunting license, or not.  One night my sister-in-law struck a moose calf with a VW Transporter.  It killed the calf.  They elected not to take the meat.  After a while, her husband had heard nothing from the state and called to see when the van was going to be repaired.  He was told that he had opted to take the meat so it was up to him to fix his own vehicle.  Turns out the State Trooper falsified the report and he took the moose calf for himself.  Buddy said the trooper lost his job over that one. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 05:55:01 pm »
If you hit and kill one out of season they won't let you keep it rather than have it rot on the side of the road?

I assume not since they impound Fiero's for not having a back seat!

Well, sure, I could have kept the meat.  That's legal.  The implementation of the law, however, treats the person who hit the deer like a criminal--especially if the incident occurred after dark.  Since this isn't my first time, I'd likely go to jail.  Oh, they'd apologize, and keep a hefty fee.  They'd say that they had let me go free, so they didn't hold me, even though usually it's an overnight stay in jail.  Of course, they use cuffs.

In the past, i had to call the conservation department, and wait (usually 7-8 hours for them to arrive.  When they showed up, they brought the police, and treated me rather roughly.  They impounded and searched my vehicle.  They took me to the police station, and put me in a series of rooms, where I was grilled by a number of people.  They tried to find contradictions.  They weighed the deer, and I had to fill out a form with the names, addresses, birthdates, etc of everyone who would get the meat.  I had to take the remains to them to be weighed.  It was a major hassle, and took about 15 hours, from cal until they let me go.  I had to pay $170 to get my truck back, somewhat worse for the wear.

The next time, I draped the dead deer over the hood of the conservation agent's personal vehicle.  The deer bled all over the vehicle for the entire summer day.  Since he lives in a different jurisdiction, when he was reported, they gave him the rough treatment.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  These agents abuse their power.  Since they receive the funds from fines, there are always fines.  Guilty or innocent, they levy a fine.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 05:56:15 pm »
I saw a Northwoods Law episode where a truck hit a deer.  They let him keep the deer because he had a hunting license, but he had to use his deer tag. 

When we lived in New England we went up to the camp in Maine for hunting every year.  Back then, the rule was that if you struck a deer or moose, you had the choice of getting the meat or having your vehicle fixed.  Whether you had a hunting license, or not.  One night my sister-in-law struck a moose calf with a VW Transporter.  It killed the calf.  They elected not to take the meat.  After a while, her husband had heard nothing from the state and called to see when the van was going to be repaired.  He was told that he had opted to take the meat so it was up to him to fix his own vehicle.  Turns out the State Trooper falsified the report and he took the moose calf for himself.  Buddy said the trooper lost his job over that one.

I always have to repair my own vehicle.  The state is more likely to charge me for damage to the deer, than to fix my vehicle.