Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Air intake boot  (Read 14964 times)

MikeMac

• View Profile
Air intake boot
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:00:31 pm »
I have a question about the V6 intake boot. I'm referring to the one between the air filter can and the throttle body. I borrowed the boot off the fastback formula so I could crank and run the Hulse coupe. The boot that was on the Hulse car had been taped up with duct tape, so I didn't trust it. The boot is a very tight fit on the Hulse coupe, being quite the struggle to fit it between the 2 points mainly because of the Isuzu shifter cables being in the way. Are all the boots the same? The fastback formula I borrowed from is a 88 with a Getrag trans and the Hulse coupe is a 86 with the Isuzu. Does anyone sell the boot new?

Thanks

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Air intake boot
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:07:46 pm »
The intake hoses are not the same.  On an '86, there is a hole in the back where a pipe connected.  Mine no longer had the pipe, and the hole had been taped up.  On my '88, there is no such hole, and the hose was a tight fit.

I've not found a replacement, but would sure like to find one.  My intake hose has lost its luster.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:06:32 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »
They are all the same. 85-88.  There must be a line from the hole to the valve cover for crankcase rebreathing.  They all get old and shed black on anything they touch.  Mike, we have several in the barn.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:29:49 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:27:40 pm »
I have seen some Pennocks people route their cables underneath the intake snorkle, but that puts a lot of bend on the cables at the metal ferule on the end.  This is the routing I found best for the two 85's I had Isuzus installed in. 

Just be sure you have enough slack that the cables don't interfere with the throttle cable.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:52:52 pm »
I will check in the morning but I believe the shift cables are routed under the snorkle/ boot. Running the cables over the snorkle definitely looks easier.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 10:44:29 pm »
I have actually seen three different boots.
The original (pre-recall) had an odd "jog" in it. It seemed to be part hard plastic and part rubber. They are few and far between, right now.
The most common (post-recall) is one piece, rubber, and has a nipple for the PVC vent pipe, just before the throttle body.
The third type is (apparently) the least common. It's one piece, rubber, and looks just like the recall piece, but does NOT have the nipple for the PVC pipe. I have seen exactly one of these. I have no idea why it even existed, unless it was actually for some other car. (80s TransAms used the same air filter canister, so there is that...)

Edit - I had an Isuzu in my 3.4 car, for a while. Yeah... the cables are *right* where the boot wants to be. I think I ran my cables "over", but it's been a while. Ended up doing a cone type filter and building a rain shield for it. May still have all the pieces around.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:47:25 pm by Raydar »

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:40:12 am »
  If i Recollect the one at buford PaP is Ok but the Filter can was rusted out.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:33:06 am »
We had to replace the filter can on the Fastback, too.  The whole neck was rotted off.  The same was the case on it's sister car, the Warrior Project GT. 

Like the intake snorkles Raydar described, there were also 3 different V6 canisters.  One was the original pre-recall.  It has a metal nipple where the rebreather hose originally attached.  Some dealers just plut a plastic cap over it.  Another style I've seen didn't have a nipple, but had a hole with a plastic plug inserted into it.  The third, of course was definitely a recall version.  It had no plugged holes or capped nipples.  Among those is another variation.  Most have a solid metal neck that the intake snorkle fits over.  It's sealed by clamping the snorkle band clamp down.  The one I still have has a large hollow rubber O-ring gasket on the neck.  There's a groove around the end of the neck that the gasket fits into.  There is no nipple or plugged hole.  It would definitely be one of the later versions.  Of course, the clamp is still needed on the intake snorkle. 

It could be that one of them was originally on the TransAms that Raydar mentioned.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 10:16:37 pm »
For posterity.

The boot with the jog: