Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Another F23 5 spd conversion  (Read 27743 times)

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: Another F23 5 spd conversion
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 11:11:27 am »
   where do you live 4.3,(not in profile info) I feel the same way about Paul he's like 2 hrs.out

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 12:35:37 pm »
The rings were cut from 1-1/4 inch tube and a small piece cut out so the ends but when the ring is clamped tight around the 1 inch tube.

My reading comprehension isn't what it should be.  I'm lost after ”ends”.  Is there a word missing?

I wasn't sure what I was trying to say either at first. A small piece is cut out of each 1.25" ring so the ring can be squeezed to fit tightly around the 1" tube. The cut ends of the rings but against each other for a full shoulder around the tube against the shifter flange.
Master ASE and FAA aircraft mechanic among other things.

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 12:58:01 pm »
Are you making detailed prints of everything as you finalize each piece in the event that a piece breaks later on, or someone one else might want to do the same swap?  This is a very interesting project.  I like the way you improvise and come up with new methods.

Ashamed that you and GTXVette are so far apart.  You two really need to get together on your projects.

No, I just make it, but I will take some measurements and make some drawings when the f23 comes back out to finalize the clutch shim issue after all else is done. That is what forums are for imho.

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 01:00:49 pm »
   where do you live 4.3,(not in profile info) I feel the same way about Paul he's like 2 hrs.out

I'm West of ATL.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 01:13:24 pm »

I'm up 575 north just above Canton, In BallGround. I know the west side pretty well I grew up around Smyrna and ran around most everywhere to the "Bama line.   

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 02:35:47 pm »
I had a postal jeep too. Lots of fun. Had a 151 4 banger with an electraglide 2 speed. Traded the electraglide for a 350t and high stall tc.  It roasted 1st, chirped the other two. Was loads of fun, but scary over 45mph. The top got de-spotwelded and removed in favor of a soft top and roll bar. For a lot of looks, mostly because the "driver" was missing.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 02:55:13 pm »
John, at the last meeting you made a comment about the trees leaning toward Alabama.  4.3 can see the lean from his front porch.

Off topic, but about Mail Jeeps.  My old partner and I put together a Dispatcher's Jeep for his then-girlfriend who was a contract mail carrier.  Consisted of 5 different Jeeps, a Chevy steering box turned upside down, a Chevy 304 V8 with automatic transmission.  The first time out of the shop door, he tromped on it across the lot.  The side door wasn't fully latched and it came right out the back of it's track and fell onto the parking lot. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 04:47:42 pm »
I dragged it home last summer and immediately took it to bits. Lots of rust repair. 258 L6, 727, dana 44 with 3.08 gears and limited slip, balljoints versus king pins, manual drums all around, and manual steering.
I've been making a lot of improvements but will keep the white with postal stripe paint scheme. They get crazy money for old jeeps these days.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 04:53:35 pm »
Nice.

Is the grey decklid hump on the Fiero to clear the engine?

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 05:12:23 pm »
Yes sir, for a decent air cleaner to fit and clear. The engine is a 1985 astro van engine that came with a 4 barrel hi-rise intake and a quadrajet. I have an adapter to a square bore edelbrock carter carb which makes it that much higher.  I need to make it a little higher then pull a mold to make a new light one without any filler, then bond that to the deck. It doesn't hit the back glass because I made the slope of the front match the angle of the glass when the lid is raised.

I have a much lower profile 2 barrel aluminum intake from an early 80s 229 v6 with a phenolic spacer/adapter I made to convert to a holley two barrel and insulate the carb for ethanol reasons. Overall it will be much lower but I have not gotten around to putting it on yet. I don't think I will those two extra barrels. I mostly enjoy the mid-range torque.

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 02:07:43 pm »
Shifter and mounts complete. Now I can work on the trans end cable linkage.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 03:57:38 pm »

Very interesting usage of the drill bits.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:00:38 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 03:59:11 pm »

Where will you connect this clamp, and the one on the other side?

fiero4.3L

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 06:45:35 pm »
If you mean the cushion clamp, that is just left over from the last arrangement with a different transmission and will be re-routed. After the shift linkage is complete, the trans is coming back out for the clutch shim measurements so there is no point in reconnecting it now.

I don't know what you mean by the clamp "on the other side". The same clamp is pictured from above, below, and from the front in trying to show all aspects of the front mount and bracket.

The bits help in putting the shifter mid-travel for select and shift.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 06:49:53 pm »
Yes, I see it's the same clamp, now.