Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Aging changes  (Read 14592 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Aging changes
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:41:05 am »
As I've aged, I've discovered that it isn't always better to walk than to run.  I've learned that I cannot stay up for a week without sleep.  I don't enjoy getting up off the floor, or bending over.  Some parts of my body just ache.  Apparently, stretching is a good thing.  I'm not as strong as I used to be.  Maybe exercise would help...

Anyway, my parents are getting old.  I'm putting one of those chairs on rails on their basement steps.  Next, the doorways will have to be widened.  A seat is being added to the tub, and a taller toilet installed.

A few years ago, I elected to go go-kart racing for my birthday.  My brothers, dad, and some friends participated.  I got last spot (14th) in the draw, my dad got 2 spots ahead of me.  The rules were clearly explained before the race: no bumping, no hitting the barriers, or you'll be removed.  There were several contact incidents in the first few laps, all involving my dad.  2 of those incidents brought out the red flag.  I set my dad up in one turn, and passed him clean in the next.  He drove straight, the next turn, T-boned me, and pushed me through the barrier.  His excuse was that that's how they used to race.  After the red flag, there were 7 or so more laps, and I was up to 5th, when there was another incident, also involving my dad.  Red flag, again.  My dad was given a final warning.  As the yellow flag ended, there was a wreck.  One kart ended up upside down.  My dad was removed from the track.  No further yellow/red flags for the rest of the race.  I finished second by maybe a nose.  Half of the laps were under a yellow flag.  We were scheduled for 3 races, but I cancelled the other 2, and we left.  A few days later, I got my dad to take me for a drive in his car.  I have since decided that his driving skills are not what they used to be.  We had a talk with him, and asked him to apply certain restrictions to his driving.  I reminded him about his dad, from whom we took his keys.  I have a feeling that I'll have to do this to my dad, in the not too distant future.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Aging changes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:14:08 pm »

My mother's twin sister gave up her license awhile back.  My mother only drives in daylight and in 35mph zones.

But she still drives better than the jerk who turned left in front of me.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 08:01:21 pm »
My mother never liked driving on the highway, or going faster than 55.  My mother has a good driving record, but doesn't drive in bad weather, and stays almost exclusively on side roads.  Her family was funny about driving.

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:55:52 pm »
Both my mother and father have passed away.  My father way back in 1988 and my mother last year.
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:59:57 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss.  I don't know how I'll handle it when my parents pass.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 07:24:27 am »

To GTRS,
                 Rejoice, From What I see From You, They Did Good!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 08:08:40 am »
Thanks, but there is a natural grieving process.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:51:48 am »
 Yep, there is,  My Dad Died in a car wreck in 72 when I was 21,  Mom in 02,  I still miss them.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 08:06:57 am »
Did you ever reach a point in your life, when you said to yourself, "If I'm going to do this, I have to do it now!"?

Or perhaps, "If I was going to be able to do that, I'd have been able to do it by now."?