Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Better Window Switches  (Read 14826 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Better Window Switches
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:30:11 pm »
The window switches in my yellow car were not only failing to work properly, they were getting downright ugly. So I figured there must be something better.
So I went to Ebay, and searched for "dpdt momentary rocker switch". I found several suitable switches, including the ones in this picture:

They not only look great, but my windows now go up and down twice as fast as with the old switches. These switches are rated at 125 volts and 20 amps, more than enough for the window motors.
Here's how to put them in. First of all, they are a bit wider than the original, so the switch holes have to be filed wider until they just fit.
Here's a bottom view of the switches. The pins are just the right size for 1/4" spade connectors.

You need to cut off the old switch connectors from the window switch wires and put spade connectors on them. The pink and black wires also need a short 2" wire in their spade connectors (two wires in each spade connector). Additional spade connectors go on the other ends of the short wires.
Then plug the wires to the upper and middle connectors of the switch exactly as they were on the original switch. Plug the connector on the short wire coming from the upper left switch pin (sharing a spade connector with the pink wire) to the bottom right pin, and vice versa for the other short wire.
That's all there is to it. If you have trouble with this description, I'll try to do a diagram. The wire colors I quoted are from the 88 Helms manual. Both my Fieros do not have stock window wiring, so my colors are different.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Better Window Switches
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:21:10 am »
Are these switches inherently better than the factory switches, or just better than the old switches?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:28:53 am »
Are they press in, snap in from the top switches?  I don't see any eyelets for screws like our originals have.  What are the red and black buttons for?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 09:50:32 am »
Are these switches inherently better than the factory switches, or just better than the old switches?
Both. The window motors draw 5 amps at 12 volts. The stock switches can't handle much more than that. These switches are rated at 20 amps at 125 volts. The stock switches have a sliding mechanism inside, where the contacts slide together when the switch is pressed. These switches make a resounding "click" when pressed, so the internal mechanism is probably spring loaded contacts that slam together when the switch is pressed.

Are they press in, snap in from the top switches?  I don't see any eyelets for screws like our originals have.  What are the red and black buttons for?
The buttons are for my aftermarket door locks. The switches are press in from the top, snap fit. Here's a side view...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:23:17 am by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 05:22:20 pm »
Nice mod.

I wondered about the buttons, too, but figured they were Condorman features.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:02:50 pm »
HMMM!  Might consider those for the 86.  Well, maybe the 87, too. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers