Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125263 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
My Misc Fiero issues
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:08:57 pm »
 Issue 1:
The engine is running very rough.  No power.  I suspect it's running rich and fouled the plugs.  I'll pull the back plugs later.  Injector fuses look good.

Issue 2:
The RKE is intermittent.  No idea.  Suspect wiring.  Sometimes lock works, but not unlock, or vise versa.

Issue 3:
The upper courtesy lights work, but not the lower courtesy lights.

Issue 4:
The adapter apparently makes the speedo whacko.  When starting the engine in park, the speedo surges to 50, as if connected to test circuit.

Issue 5:
The oil pressure gauge can read correctly, but often points to the bottom right corner.  Sometimes it jumps around

Issue 6:
The tach jumps all over, although it can be correct.

Issue 7:
The temp gauge can read correctly, but usually reads hot.  Sometimes it jumps around.

I had verified gauge accuracy against the computer last year.  It's hard for me to believe that all my gauges suddenly went bad.

Issue 8:
The transmission upshifts when you depress the accelerator, resulting in less power, rather than more.  I also think it shifts a bit early.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:36:21 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »
After letting the Fiero sit for a bit, I pulled the back plugs.  They are supposed to be new, but are rusty.  They aren't fouled.  I put the plugs back in, reseated a few plug wires at the coil pack, and the engine fired up and ran without stumbling.  I didn't try driving it, though.

That brings me to more issues.

Issue 9:
The radio is now showing gibberish on the display.

The trunk light and 1 lower courtesy bulb are missing.  I wonder what that would affect.

Issue 10:
The idle is sometimes about 600 RPM; other times, about 1,600 RPM.

If the ECU was expecting pintle injectors, and I have multitec, what happens?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:15:57 am by GTRS Fiero »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:38:51 pm »
Some of your symptoms could be caused by bad grounds.
The disk-type injectors can cause a rich mixture.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:58:43 pm »
Yeah, I'm suspecting that is one of the problems.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 02:29:08 pm »
I tried driving the Fiero today.  Ran terribly.  Didn't get anywhere.  The radio worked again.

Issue 11:
When I was driving it, there was a screeching sound, apparently from the rear.  The original thought was that it was the dust shields, but it can change sides of the car if going around sharp turns in opposite directions.  Or, simply turning the steering sharply back and forth can change sides of the car from which the sound emnates.

Issue 12:
The check engine light NEVER comes on.  Not when the ignition key is turned to ON, and not when the EGR is unplugged.

Issue 13:
I've got an oil leak, as in a puddle under the Fiero.  I'm also almost 1.5 quarts low, after driving 200 miles.  The oil filler cap is loose, and it leaks a bit there, and the valve cover appears to be leaking at the gasket.  The bolts are tight.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:05:45 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 04:27:54 pm »
What are those plastic strips under the headlight doors that the headlight buckets slide against?

Anyone know where to get those foam pads that set in the cowl area that the hood rests on from?

What are those pads on the bottom of the hood called?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 05:06:49 pm »
Issue 14:
Several vacuum lines that go nowhere.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:16:56 am by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »
The screeching when side force is applied to the suspension can still be the dust shields. 

The strips on the bottom of the headlight doors are Teflon or Nylon.  How many do you need?

Which foam pads?  The hood doesn't rest on any foam pads.  There are two short pieces of weatherstrip, one on each end of the cowl, that helps to direct water down the side drain channel.  They probably have other purposes, too, like keeping debris from blocking the drain channel between the top of the fender and the side of the front compartment seal. 

On sunroof equipped cars, the sunroof storage support shelf has 2 foam pads and the ones that are mounted on the hood are to keep the sunroof from bouncing around on rough roads.  The sunroof is sandwiched between the flat ones and the round ones. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:21:56 pm »
If you have them, 2 strips, but how do the remnants of the old ones come out?

You are right about the pads.  The flat ones are missing a corner, and the round ones are falling off.  I guess I could reglue the round ones.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:00:19 am by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 06:38:50 pm »
The sunroof pads can be held in place by some acrylic body molding tape.  You won't have to worry about them ever coming loose.  It's the stuff like the quarter windows are held on with. 

Hook your fingernail under the edge of the headlight door strips.  They will buckle and come right out.  What's wrong with yours?

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:37:30 pm »
1 strip is missing; another is broken in half.  The broken one doesn't seem to want to come out.  I didn't want to break it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:45:59 pm »
Looking back through my trip, I sent texts after filling up to show average MPG.  The last time I filled up, it was at a Philips 66.  I sent the text.  About 20 minutes later, the issues started.

My thought is either bad fuel or water in the fuel.  The station was along a major highway.

Anyway, I added some HEET, mixed it up, and ran the engine for 20 minutes.  No change.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 08:31:37 pm »
Issue 15:
The ground strap from the decklid is broken.

Issue 16:
The cable for the cruise control is broken.

Issue 17:
The left axle boot is leaking and has thrown grease all over.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:49:30 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:41 pm »
I never knew that axle grease was this greenish color:

And my powdercoat is peeling:

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 09:33:48 pm »
There's also a heavy ground wire that bolts to the lower frame rail on the driver's side, down below the air filter and the other end bolts to a transmission to engine bolt. 

The CV grease is usually some shade of green and all I've dealt with stinks horribly. 

When you get the car back home, you may need to contact OleJoeDad and let he and Brian straighten out the car.  I would hope that you could get some money refunded from the person who had your car without having to go back to Texas to pursue it.  I won't use the term "Did the work" or "Fixed your car". 

I've got to go dig up those headlight door strips.