Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125265 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2017, 03:26:27 pm »
The bigger issue was that the right rear corner of the frame for the shift boot was broken off.

I wasn't very careful when gluing, being more concerned with not getting the glue where it would cause issues with the gear selector, or the aforementioned white plate, and I didn't get the corner flat and level. :(

It looked passable there, and I didn't realize my mistake until I took the next picture.

And even worse here.  I have no idea how I missed this while gluing.

Moment of truth:

And it held!  Note that, after the initial gluing, once the piece was in place, I added more superglue, both above and below to both connection points.  You'd figure that there would be more than just those two tiny connection points.  Oh, well.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:38:25 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:03 am »
It occurs to me that my Fiero wasn't steadily burning oil, until I connected that vacuum hose to the port on the transmission.  Does that help narrow the problem?  Originally, it was just a puff of smoke on startup.

I'm considering disconnecting that vacuum hose and seeing if it smokes with the vacuum leak.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2017, 06:07:22 pm »
The vacuum modulator may be shot. If the diaphragm is ruptured, it will usually suck transmission fluid through the vacuum line. It will smoke like hell at idle (high vacuum) and diminish a bit, at speed.
This could easily explain your "strange shift" problem.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2017, 07:07:00 pm »
Hmmm.  Could I put my finger over it to test?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2017, 07:26:09 pm »
Well, I pulled the hose.  Couldn't tell about the smoke.  Only ran it for 10 seconds.  First start since 10/18.

I'd forgotten about the hunting idle issue.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2017, 05:07:09 pm »
Any likelihood that this could be causing my current issues?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:26 pm »
Disassembled to the heads.  Lots of loose bolts.  Found a broken pushrod.  All the valves were loose and out of adjustment.  Haven't found the pushrod end, so far.  Hoping it'll be in the oil pan.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2017, 11:32:28 am »
Found the pushrod end in the head.  The new pushrods and plugs are in.  The valves are adjusted, and timing is set.  Runs very quietly, even with the exhaust leaks.

Went for a drive.  Still seems to be in the wrong gear a lot, but doesn't fall on its face.  It dies, because of the exhaust leaks, which probably contribute to the surging idle.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »
I drove my Fiero about 35 miles today.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but it seems to be ticking louder again.  Plenty of power, and no smoke.  I'm having it re-checked for my peace of mind.  It was fun to drive it again.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2017, 08:01:35 pm »
Here are pictures of the broken pushrod:

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2017, 04:52:20 pm »
The EGR gasket blew.  Or, it got a hole burned through it.  Another gasket is on order.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »
On the left is how my center caps looked upon return.  That is how they actually look.  They don't look so bad with the flash.

On the right is how they looked when I took the car to Texas.  This is one of the replacement center caps.  I'd had the car, with those center caps, for 3 years, and they looked great.  Not so much when I got the car back.

I'm going to have a hard time with the rear emblem.  I don't know if it can be fixed or not.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:01:18 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:42 pm »
Before the pushrod was replaced, we ran a compression test.  Cylinder 6? (by the battery) was only at 33.  The others were at 160.  After replacing the pushrods and plugs, securing some bolts, replacing the gaskets, setting the timing, adjusting the valves, and securing the rockers, all 6 cylinders test at 160.  All cylinders are firing, and all the engine runs a LOT more quietly.  It doesn't sound like a sewing machine.

I took it around the "Lindbergh/Pershall exit curve" about 50MPH, which was about 2MPH too fast, maybe.  I didn't hit the curb or anything, but slid about 4 feet sideways with all 4 tires.  I watched the curb get closer and closer, and could've used a bit more power, but it straightened out and pulled through.  The guy behind me hopped the curb and went into the grass.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »
Sounds like you're getting it back into condition.  Don't destroy it in a curve.

BTW, the cylinder by the battery is # 2.  Right to left they are 2, 4, and 6.  Trunk side, right to left are 1, 3, and 5, just for future reference.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »
Yeah.  #2.

My Fiero still has lots of issues.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:49:48 pm by GTRS Fiero »