Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125256 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »
Michael, I have 3 GM OEM gaskets.  They are graphite coated and I believe they have a wire mesh inside them.  Email, text or PM me your address again and one will be in the mail in the morning. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2018, 08:01:37 pm »
I ordered 2 from the Fiero Store.  I feel badly about you spending money to mail me parts.

I'm wondering of the problem could be that I have a heat-coated EGR mount plate.  I put the question to TFS.  I believe they discontinued selling this product, and this could be the reason.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2018, 08:32:33 pm »
It couldn't cost more than 2 Forever Stamps to mail it. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2018, 06:32:51 pm »
TFS says there have been no such issues with the heat-coated EGR mount plate.  They suggested that I find out why the exhaust is getting so hot.  Surely, that much heat would cause problems for other gaskets, as well, such as the one on the top of the mount plate.

The only real complaint I have about the engine is that the MPG is low.  The flooding/burning oil should be a separate issue, but perhaps not.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 05:57:53 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2018, 08:21:14 pm »
The gaskets arrived today.  They are purple, and seem to be made of some sort of metal.  I put one in, and put the Fiero back together.  It fired right up, after sitting for 12 days.  No smoke, nothing.  It just fired right up.  I went for a 30-minute drive.  No leaks, and it sounds right.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
I have the new detent cable, and tried to replace it, but that didn't go well.  I maybe should've released the end off the throttle, but I couldn't get the end out of the transmission.  It works--it just looks badly.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2018, 06:19:31 pm »
What could happen while the lower intake is off that would cause oil and fuel to mix?  Gasket?  Mechanical?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2018, 03:29:46 am »
What happens if I drive my Fiero in its current condition?

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2018, 07:44:34 am »
   If the smoke cleared do not worry unless it appears again. if the Detent is not adj. Correctly It Can Cause Trouble with the clutch Plates as they don't Shift with the lock up force they need and then they Wear. If It's as Simple as most GM cars It's Easy. If it's all hooked up Push in the Cable adj. lock and rotate the throttle to wide open at the Injector not the pedal, then let go the lock then the throttle. that should be it.  Of course the Fiero is likely diff.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2018, 08:19:40 am »
I'm worried about whatever is causing the oil to get black, and the oil to be burned.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:33:04 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2018, 11:37:11 am »
Engine oil doesn't stay clear.  It quickly picks up blowby contamination from the engine and starts turning dark.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2018, 12:38:26 pm »
I lost a quart of oil in less than 1,000 miles.  It's visibly burning oil.

Perhaps the oil does get dark, but I've run new engines through several oil changes, and still had almost clear oil.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:33:57 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2018, 06:20:34 pm »
I learned something new yesterday: the injectors need to match.  If you have a "matched" set of injectors that aren't identical, your ECU will have problems figuring things out.  Apparently, the ECU knows something about the injectors, liking some types, but not other types.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2018, 10:02:06 pm »
Hmmm.  Apparently, there are still vacuum issues.  There is supposed to be a pressure difference going to the vapor cannister.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2018, 10:15:34 pm »
I took the Fiero out for a drive, today.  There were several oddities:
1.  Rather than the usual 16 MPG, I got about 28 (8 gallons in 237 miles) at 80 MPH.
2. The engine kept cutting out on me, as if it wasn't getting fuel.  Usually, this was just a pause, but once I lost power for several seconds, and another time, almost didn't get it re-started.
3.  The AC never got more than cool.
4. The engine ran almost at the red for temp, for the first tank of fuel, which got me about 22MPG, then for the 28MPG tank, it ran about halfway.  I noticed with the first tank that the engine ran hotter at 70+ MPH than at 50 MPH.
5. When downshifting, it went to second gear, which is about 6K RPM.  Adjustment needed.

I was thinking that maybe the engine got heat-soaked.  I will say that above 80 MPH, the engine comes to life.

Changing injectors.  Not liking the Accel brand.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 09:52:49 pm by GTRS Fiero »