Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Hot as in Glowing Red Hot  (Read 14302 times)

GTXVette

• View Profile
Hot as in Glowing Red Hot
« on: February 03, 2018, 06:52:03 pm »
 I don't know what Changed, I reconnected a plug connector but not sure if it just happened when I jumpered the ALDL to set Timing or not But,
  Then engine started right up, No over rich cond. like before /Not burning my nose and eyes, Ran Smooth and very Fast 2 to 3 thousand RPM, Within 3 min. (Iwas warming it to set Timing) the Headers were Glowing red, I shut it down 30 min later I started it again and the same happened. I wondered if I may be 180 out as with a V6 and a firing order of 123456 would allow for this and not disrupt Firing order,
In the forum "Timing a v-6" thread you Comprimise between 1 and 4 So Could I be 180 out?
Do I Have  a problem with the FI It's Firing ,too smooth not to be. I would assume lean is red Hot not rich and It didn't happen when it was super Rich.      Fiero V6 Computer

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Hot as in Glowing Red Hot
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:03:45 pm »
If you had it 180* out of time, it would run horribly.  The glowing manifolds is an indication of a lean burn condition.  Either the wrong fuel injectors, or you have a vacuum leak.  I tend to think you have a vacuum leak due to the high idle you report. 

My 87 manifolds glow red at night and Radar has confirmed that I have a lean burn condition.  I've been working with someone in another state to resolve his 3.4 lean burn conditions, and if the fuel injector upgrade works out for him, I may be collecting aluminum cans along the roadside before long to earn some money for new injectors. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 08:17:50 pm »
Retarded timing can cause red exhaust manifolds too. So, your choices are lean burn, retarded timing, vacuum leak. Probably won't be 180° off if running smoothly.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:50:13 am »
My 87 manifolds glow red at night and Radar has confirmed that I have a lean burn condition.

Over time, won't a lean burn burn a hole in the pistons?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:57:20 am »
It may.  But I have about 25000 miles on a non-rebuilt engine of unknown original miles, but believed to be more than  70,000 when in the Camaro. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 08:57:37 am »
I was looked for context for this issue, because I couldn't remember the history.  I think I found it here.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 09:21:34 am »
  Air Leak was my first thought too... But It didn't do it until I jumped the ALDL.  the other day It was So Rich I couldn't OPEN enough doors up and My wife made me undress at the wash room.  Very Ugly weather this morning 32 and raining Hard,  But I will try to Con Grand ma into the Shed to Help. She's Up with my Tricks and Bribery my be Needed.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:26 am »
If you remove the ALDL jumper, what happens?  Does it run as before, or still glowing manifolds?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 01:35:50 pm »
My 87 manifolds glow red at night and Radar has confirmed that I have a lean burn condition. 

I'm not certain how lean it is at idle. Probably not terribly. At least once it's warmed up, and running in closed loop.

My manifolds used to glow a bit at night. Easy to see in the dark, or in a garage, out of the daylight. It was my understanding that it was quite normal. (Per Ed Parks or Jeremy?)
Now... if they're red-orange, or bright enough to see in the daylight, that might be a problem.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 02:12:44 pm »
   Yea Like Daylight Glow red, Water temp under 100 and bright red pipes, Backing up checking everything Mama Say's NO Not Today