Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Have you seen a Fiero today?  (Read 116608 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Have you seen a Fiero today?
« Reply #435 on: June 10, 2017, 08:27:15 am »
I saw a nice red Formula, parked between 2 Corvettes.  No pic.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2017, 11:11:47 am »
Saw a silver fastback GT on I-20 inbound, on the west side, yesterday morning.
No wing. Aftermarket wheels. Mississippi plates. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 10, 2017, 08:22:09 pm »
'Tis the season.

Saw this one today:

Burnt orange metallic paint job.  Clearly a mask-and-spray job.  Lots of overspray (dew wipes, antenna, belt trim, etc), but no runs or thin spots, and the surface seems to have been prepped well.  The black ground effects don't look so good.  The paint may have been the wrong type of paint. 

The windows have tint film.  The shift knob (manual) is chrome aftermarket, with black trim.  The left fender is pushed in and cracked by the side marker.

Dual exhaust, but no stickers.  The sail panels seem to have been painted black.  It looked as if there were cheap seat covers in use.  The side emblems and the front emblem insert were missing (but it was mostly painted over).  I'd suspect a V6.  The belt trim is grooved.

Didn't meet the owner or take a closer look.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2017, 07:31:37 pm »
Well yes.  Yes, I have.

Today, I saw a white '87 GT broken down on the side of the road.  It was on the right shoulder, and I was at highway speed, 3 lanes over, in heavy traffic.  I turned around, but it was almost 10 miles to get back to him, with the exit distances and the divided highway.  This divided highway is about 30 feet above the ground, with each direction on a different flyover.

The kid was in a bad spot, right as you top the hill, just before an entrance ramp, and where the right lane ended.  The shoulder was very narrow.

By the time I got to him, there were 2 COP cars behind him, giving him a bad time about where he was parked.  They didn't say a word about my truck, but didn't seem inclined to let me by, until I told them I was a Fiero guy, which somehow made it OK.

This Fiero had aftermarket wheels on it, sequential LED rear turn signals, LED tail and brake lights, and BTR headlights.  The intake and valve covers were painted black and leaking oil.  The dogbone had been replaced with polyester.  It had an aftermarket sunroof and head unit, and someone put a subwoofer in place of the center console.  The drip rails were damaged, the truck seal was in tatters, and the rear GT emblem was cracked.  It had aftermarket leatherette or vinyl covers on the seats.  The glove box was black.

The brake master cylinder had the plastic cover popped open.  It seemed that the reservoir was overfilled, but the cover would not snap closed.

The paint looked nice.  A few scratches, but no chips, fading, or clearcoat peel.  He plans to paint the entire car white...at MAACO.  I recommended fixing the leaking sunroof, and the oil and idle issues first.  The quarter windows were in perfect condition, but no evidence of green tint, so probably replacements.  The tail lights were delaminated, but no chips, cracks, or yellowing.

Apparently, the car sat for a few years before he bought it.  It has about 86K on it, now.

This was a 4-speed.  Someone installed drilled and slotted rotors.

The car idles very rough.  He said he replaced the ignition coil, but I suspect vacuum, spark, or the IAC.

When I got there, he was trying to jack the car up to replace a destroyed read tire.  He had no idea about the coolant tubes.  I showed him the jack diagram, and made sure he got the car jacked up safely.  We used a piece of wood to chock a front wheel.  I didn't have any hex wrenches to get the centercap off, nor did he, but the roadside assist guy did.  Then, the lug wrench wouldn't fit between the nuts and the wheel.  Lots of fun, but the spare is on, and he's on his way.

Nice kid.  I mentioned Fierorama to him.  We'll see.  He did ask about some other events.

EDIT:  I did tell him where he could get the trunk seal, the drip rails, the GT emblem, and a replacement side marker, as well as LED side markers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:37:30 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2017, 08:48:40 pm »
Good on ya'. I'm sure your assistance was appreciated.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 26, 2017, 11:30:19 pm »

I believe I saw this one again today.  I'll post a pic later, but it was about 10 miles from where I saw it last, heading away.  I was in the left lane, and he was in the right lane, but he kept up for 10 or so miles.  We both changed highways at the same exit, then I exited, and he continued.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 27, 2017, 04:26:33 pm »
Here's the pic.  Young guy driving.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2017, 05:45:55 pm »
Here's one I saw this morning, on the way to work.  I haven't seen it before.  It was there on the way home, so I'll stop by.

It looks like an '86 SE with a Formula nose.  The paint on the hood has lost its clearcoat.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 28, 2017, 06:58:32 pm »
I stopped by.  Nobody home.  Grooved trim.  GT wheels.  Most of the paint looks good.  Only the hood and roof look poorly.  The decklid looks good.  The interior bezels and armrests are red.  It has an aftermarket shifter for the automatic transmission.  One of the arrow trim pieces is missing.  The Fiero is registered as an historic vehicle.  I believe that takes a while, like personalized plates.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #444 on: July 28, 2017, 08:10:01 pm »
The silver ground effects says it's an 85GT.  86 and 87 lower trim was dark coior.  Black or charcoal.  Decklid would say Fiero GT for an 85, 2m4 of 2m6 for 86 and 87. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 28, 2017, 08:44:53 pm »
Sail panels show SE.  No decals on deck lid, IIRC.

I went by a second time.  Car in the driveway, but no answer.  The Fiero is a V6.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 28, 2017, 10:24:16 pm »
A Frankenstein Fiero.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #447 on: July 28, 2017, 10:28:57 pm »
Sail panels show SE.  No decals on deck lid, IIRC.

I went by a second time.  Car in the driveway, but no answer.  The Fiero is a V6.

Its more likely they replaced the sails and nose than all the ground effects and related panels.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 29, 2017, 04:49:06 am »

Its more likely they replaced the sails and nose than all the ground effects and related panels.

True, and it certainly isn't a repaint.  Someone did a lot of work on the interior, though.  The entire center console is painted red.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 31, 2017, 06:11:42 pm »
I take that back about the repaint.  It IS a repaint.  Very odd.  I saw this Fiero again today.  It has been moved to the driveway, but still no answer at the door.  No decal on the decklid.