Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Check out the NEW Acura NSX  (Read 14386 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Check out the NEW Acura NSX
« on: October 05, 2018, 12:28:33 pm »
Check it out here.
Hybrid mid-engine sports car.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Check out the NEW Acura NSX
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:58:23 pm »
A friend from work (certainly not in MY department) is half-heartedly shopping for one of these.
He already has a new(er) Accord that the "nannyware" is trying to take over.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:39:19 am »
Copy of the mid-engine Corvette?  I thought the original NSX had a much more unique look.  It was not a terrible vehicle, but seemed to have a lot of reliability issues.  Maybe they fixed some of those issues.  It was faster than the Fiero, but boring to drive.  If you take a supercar for a drive, it should be exhilarating.  Even the Maserati twin-turbo V6 is exciting to drive.  This has similar HP.

The torque is dissappointingly lower than the HP.  Did anyone else notice that the radiator seems to be behind the driver's seat?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 02:08:30 pm »
...I thought the original NSX had a much more unique look.  It was not a terrible vehicle, but seemed to have a lot of reliability issues.  Maybe they fixed some of those issues.  It was faster than the Fiero, but boring to drive.  If you take a supercar for a drive, it should be exhilarating. 

I don't remember hearing about any reliability issues. What I remember hearing is that it "didn't have any 'soul'". It was like driving a very fast, very precise version of the Accord. All the switches and gadgets;  bells and whistles were reliable, unlike most supercars of the era.
Never mind that it would run rings around 97% of the other cars on the road. if it was unlikely to leave you stranded, I guess it was "boring".

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 02:27:27 pm »
I would call going through 3 engines unreliable.  After the 3rd engine, honda replaced the vehicle.  Then there were electrical issues.  The honda place said the electronics were as bad as on British cars.  It was just a comparison vehicle, not a daily driver, but the door seals leaked, the door handles kept not working to let me out, and I couldn't say how many starters those cars went through..  It spent most of 3 years in the shop.  Traded for a turbo Z car, which truly was a piece of junk.

Yes, it was basically a faster accord, with a unique look.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 05:07:59 pm »
Specs for the 2019 NSX:
HP: 573
Torque: 476
0-60: 3 seconds
Top speed: 191 MPH
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »
I thought the 0-60 was 2.72 seconds.  Anyway, I'll give it a try when I get a chance, just to feel how it stacks up.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 09:40:10 pm »
I would call going through 3 engines unreliable.  After the 3rd engine, honda replaced the vehicle.  Then there were electrical issues.  The honda place said the electronics were as bad as on British cars.  It was just a comparison vehicle, not a daily driver, but the door seals leaked, the door handles kept not working to let me out, and I couldn't say how many starters those cars went through..  It spent most of 3 years in the shop.  Traded for a turbo Z car, which truly was a piece of junk.

Yes, it was basically a faster accord, with a unique look.

Okay. Well, obviously you speak from experience. I certainly can't argue with that.
Our Honda (Odyssey) was solidly reliable. Right up until it wasn't. (Broke a timing belt, but that's not IT'S problem.)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 09:46:21 pm »
My boss drives his cars until they break, then blames the cars.  I maintain my vehicles meticulously--except the bodies.

The original NSX maintenance is...pricey, mainly due to a lack of working space.  I wonder about the new version.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:48:26 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 10:04:00 pm »
A few years ago we had a couple from the Chicago area that came down to do RFTH with us, then left on their way to Florida and other domains.  I would guess that their NSX was pretty reliable.  The only neg I've ever heard about them is that they eat rear tires like crazy, even without spinning them. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 10:16:07 pm »
LOL!  I thought that was my fault.  Actually, the fronts wore out just as quickly.

The back end likes to hang out a bit.  The NSX is supposed to be the daily driver supercar.  Someone told me that they took their Lamborghini in for a 3,000-mile service, and no one had ever put that many miles on one.  There exist NXSs with 50K miles or more on them.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 09:10:36 am »
...  The only neg I've ever heard about them is that they eat rear tires like crazy, even without spinning them.

My Fieros eat rear tires, too. Probably two pairs of rears, for each pair of fronts. This is not a surprise.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 02:46:50 pm »
Ray's 86 GT and my 87 GT did that.  I got an alignment and put some Kumho tires on it and they appear to be wearing evenly.  I don't know if it was the alignment or the tires that did it.  Surprisingly, both my 85 GT's and the 86 SE seem to wear evenly.  I suppose that extra 200 lbs hung on the back end of the fastbacks makes a big difference. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 07:51:39 am »

I watch the above video of Jay Leno's Garage with the new NSX.  One of the problems the car has is parts availability.  Yes, the parts are unique.  For the NSX with which I dealt, it had to be shipped somewhere else for service.  I had to wait weeks for parts to arrive.  Several times, the NSX was due to arrive for pickup, but something was wrong, and it had to stay in service longer.  I know one time it came back, and had leaked fluids all over.