Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Hit and run.  (Read 14181 times)

PK

• View Profile
Hit and run.
« on: October 12, 2018, 03:40:26 pm »
Last week I arrived home to see my car, parked Infront of the house, had been "modified" by a passing car.

Every panel on one side had got it.. mirror smashed, somehow they had managed to open the locked petrol cap by smashing into it ... Ripped off the side repeater indicator which had also dented the front wing.... What a mess.

It could have happened at any point during the day.  Being English, I went in for a cup of tea (it fixes everything).  After 20 mins or so I decided I would take the slug to the lock up and try to polish out what I could. I went back outside and picked up the mirror cover (belonging to the offending car), got in the slug and set off.  Not more than 50 yards down the road and a car coming the other way had a mirror flapping down against its passenger door....it couldn't be... Looking down at the mirror cover now sat on my passenger seat I could see it was the same colour ... So a quick turn in the road and the chase was on.

The car again passed my house this time going the other direction (so that's failing to stop at the scene of an accident .. Twice lolzio).  The car couldn't stay on its own side of the road and I had no idea if this was going to be a 5 minute follow our a five hour follow!  After seeing the inability to stay on their own side of the road I called the police.

The car only went about a mile from my house then turned up a dead end.  And onto a drive.  The police were still on the phone and listened to our conversation.  It was a very elderly lady who claimed not to know she had hit my car.  I showed her the damage and explained that she had failed to stop... In either direction and that she was unable to stay on her side of the road.  At this point the police asked if she was going to give her details and they were no longer interested even though they had asked me if she was elderly and had heard the discussion about her being unable to stay on the correct side of the road

She wasn't drunk but was a little senile and near enough blind!!!!  I watched her try and lock the car.  Which she successfully did three times before realising she had done it.

I can fix the car but she is going to kill herself or someone else if she carries on driving.  Apparently there is a police campaign about this very problem at the moment, yet with a live broadcast of the problem they had zero interest.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:45:10 pm by PK »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Hit and run.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »
I'm sorry for your loss.  This is an issue we have here, also.  A neighbor lady drove over my motorbike, which was legally parked on the sidewalk.  She also hit the stop sign.  I had her kids take her keys away, but she probably won't forgive me.  She called me all sorts of names.  I asked her how she'd feel if she had driven over my kids.  She insisted that that would never happen.  I wish I'd known her better, because it may have been easier for her to understand.

There is no profit in this for the police.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 07:03:31 pm »
If you can find a kind way of finding her children, tell them the problem. ask THEM to take her Key's. you will of course tell them the benifits of her NOT driving.

PK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:14:39 pm »
She wasn't really capable of a discussion about insurance or damage.  She did provide her insurance details after trying to convince me that a parts receipt was her insurance certificate for 5 mins.

Luckily her only neighbour spotted me on the way out, we had a chat and he reported the incident to her children. The damage was paid for without problem by them but they feel that she has to decide for herself to stop driving... Which she is probably incapable of doing.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:19:06 pm »
Maybe her children plan to pay to restore dead people.  ???

Here, you can--ahem--cause a person to be required to re-take their driver's test, which includes vision.  It sounds as if she would fail.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:15:50 am by GTRS Fiero »