Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 5 speed oil  (Read 18973 times)

gavino

• View Profile
5 speed oil
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:42:17 pm »
I am 17 and just bought my first car, a Fiero a few months ago - so please forgive my ignorance.  I found an '87 GT that had been in storage for the last 15 years - since I was 2.  It's in super original shape w/ only 80,000 miles but having sat that long needs some attention.  Anyway this weekend I'd like to change the transmission oil.
How is it done? Use the drain plug on the top and fill from the top?
What type of oil - royal purple synchromax?

Thanks for the info

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: 5 speed oil
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:10:31 pm »
welcome to the addiction. finally someone on this board younger than me.  unfortunately, i own an automatic and can't give you an answer of the top of my head. i will have an answer shortly, after i dig out the haynes manual...which i suggest you invest in (or some of the other popular repair guides). you may find the answer in some of the links on the main page. again, welcome and good luck with your car
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:59:20 pm by cogcaviz24 »

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:11:21 pm »
fill out your profile so we now a little about you :)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:51:22 pm »
The manual transmissions have a drain plug on the bottom. The 87 Getrag has a fill port on the left end, just above the inboard CV joint.  Unscrew that to refill. 

The Getrag uses Syncromesh Fluid.  It's generally found at AutoZone.  I haven't been able to find it at any other chain store.  It's made by Pennzoil and the last time I purchased any (years ago) it was about $10 a quart.  GM dealers sell the GM brand for about twice the price and theirs is made by Pennzoil. 

The transmission holds about 2 and 5/8 quarts.  Your fill port plug has a dipstick on it so you know it's full.  Be sure to clean well around the fill port.  Keeping dirt out of the gearbox will greatly prolong its life. 

CogCavi gave you some good advise.  Get a Haynes manual, and come to this forum to ask questions about anything you don't understand or aren't sure about.  Our members are scattered all across the northern half of Georgia, so if you need help, there is probably someone close to you.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »
oh yeah, i should have remembered sychromesh from my days in the cavalier. haynes says SAE 5-w30 or Dextron II. I'd go with synchromesh. seemed to give my cavi a smoother transition.

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16:59 pm »
Last I looked in the Service Manual, it says 10w30.  I dont much deviate from what GM says to use in their transmissions.  That was a GM service manual BTW

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:42:56 pm »
There was an update from GM that specified syncromesh for all Fiero manual transmissions. Amsoil makes an excellent synthetic synchromesh that you can buy online. I have some in my 88 5-speed coupe, and it shifts very nicely with it.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Formula88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »
Yes, current GM recommendation is Synchromesh. 
I run Royal Purple Synchromax in my '88 Formula and it shifts smoother than the 6-speed in my '00 Trans Am. 

GMguy1987

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:43 pm »
Yea what they commonly call SYNCHROMESH fluid is actually 5w30 motor oil. I am currently running mobil1 5w30 in my GETRAG. Seems to work wonderfully. Being that the car has sat for sometime you may find that the axle seals may leak. I would highly recommend replacing them with what they call a bearingseal that I ordered from the fiero store. They are a seal with a set of needle bearings as part of it and it really does a lot to hold the axles in tightly. I own an 87 Gt as well.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 10:03:41 pm »
Yea what they commonly call SYNCHROMESH fluid is actually 5w30 motor oil.

Actually, it's 5-30 transmission oil, not motor oil. There's a difference. Motor oil has additives in it to handle combustion by-products and high temperatures. Transmission oil has additives in it protect gears and bearings, and must be compatible with brass synchros.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.