Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fuel lines  (Read 15140 times)

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Fuel lines
« on: December 31, 2018, 11:44:06 am »
I tried to fill my tank I got gas comming out of the top of the tank.  The two lines comming out the back that I can see are not leaking. One connects to the filter and the other goes in the same direction.   I see in the picture of the fuel line assy on the top of the tank that there is a third one. Wondering where it goes and what it is suppose to do.  I dont see it comming off the back with the other two.  Wonder where it might go.  It appear that the gas is comming from the top middle of the tank  Any ideas   Thanks

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 11:50:33 am »
What year is your Fiero?  '87?  '88?

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 11:52:12 am »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:53 pm »
There should be a line going up to the fuel expansion tank.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
Got a picture because I don't where that would be??????

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 01:55:27 pm »
On the 87 the expansion tank is located up inside the fender well, on the other side of the fender wall from the battery. 

The 3 metal lines on the sending unit are the fuel to engine, the excess fuel return from engine, and the vent line to the expansion tank. 

If the fuel is coming from the top of the tank, it might be that the O-ring seal isn't properly installed or the sending unit lock ring isn't tight enough. 

I think the old tank we removed from the Formula Fastback is still at Michaels.  I still have the old sending unit here if you need to know which metal line is which and there may be some ring seals in the box, too. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 02:22:05 pm »
Is this the first time you filled it up completely since the new fuel pump was installed? How big a leak are we talking?

There are videos on YouTube showing the lines during fuel tank removal.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 02:26:51 pm »
Michael, yes that is the first time I filled it up since you changed the pump.   It was comming out as fast as it was going in.....

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 03:27:18 pm »
I looked to see if I could find the connection to the tank.  Question, does that hose take the same path as the gas filter line?  I dont see anything going toward the battery side.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 04:13:45 pm »
As far as I can tell it would seem that the hoses at the back of the tank are connected.  But I cant say forsure.  It did look like the gas was comming off the tank in about the middle of the tank and not the rear where all the lines come off.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 08:02:01 pm »
In the picture of the tank at the parts barn that I had referred to in another thread, there is a large and small nipple on the back end of the tank.  One is the fill, and the other is the breather that comes back up to the filler neck.  It vents air as the tank is filled. 

The other 3 lines are the ones that come off the sending unit metal lines.  Their clamps are in the same area as the filler hose connection.  They turn upward through the firewall, toward the right side of the vehicle. 

It sounds like you have a hole in the top of the tank, or the sending unit is leaking.  It would probably tend to flow toward the front of the tank because it's located right at the front of the raised portion of the tank. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 08:05:48 pm »
If its leaking at that rate I would think it was the big fill hose coming from the gas tank filler. But if that was the case it would leak anytime you added fuel not just when it got toward full.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 08:06:46 pm »
It's almost as if one of the hoses on top isn't connected.

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 02:49:58 am »
Since it looks like the gas is comming off the top of the tank and not the back where the hoses are I would think it is where the pump goes.  The clamp is leaking.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 09:55:58 am »
In this picture you can see the points where the tank can leak, other than if there are extraneous holes in it.  It does sound like it's coming from the sending unit.  Before driving the car, it might be a good idea to try to pump the fuel down to about a half tank.  Any leaking fuel from the tank can be carried back to the exhaust system by wind as you drive.