Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Ignition troubles  (Read 14024 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Ignition troubles
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:23:45 pm »
Put the key in, but it wouldn't turn.  Took the key out.  Put the key back in.  No turn.  Fiddled with the key a bunch.  Finally turned.  This has now happened several times.  Where should I start?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Ignition troubles
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 09:39:03 pm »
The actual ignition switch is down on the column.  The key and tumbler are just mechanical. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 10:18:59 pm »
That ruined my evening.  I was hoping I could just replace the tumbler or the key.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 10:58:30 pm »
Try squirting some lubricant into the key slot. Remington gun oil is pretty good for this.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 11:15:43 pm »
That ruined my evening.  I was hoping I could just replace the tumbler or the key.

If the tumbler isn't turning, you probably can.  If it was turning and there was an occasional time when the starter wouldn't engage, it may be the electrical component on the column.  If you replace the tumbler, be sure you get one for an 88.  Keys and tumblers are different on the 88, though earlier years will work.  The slots on the sides of the keys are located differently.  Just makes it easier for anyone getting a key made in the future.  Wouldn't want to be searching for a key blank for an 88 when the tumbler is for an earlier year. 

I have a similar problem with my headlights.  The low beam sometimes won't come on without activation several times with the column lever.  They even just go off sometimes while driving.  Again, it's a switch that's located on the side of the column underneath the dash. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 11:27:21 pm »
I did order an ihnition lock from TFS, but there was no option by year.  It comes with a key.  The keys are by year.  Interesting.