Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Austell Flood  (Read 16009 times)

85GT

• View Profile
Austell Flood
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:08:24 pm »
I just found out my fiero has about 5 feet of water over it.. They are hoping to be able to get back in on saturday.. Looks like i have a little work ahead of me.. :(

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
Re: Austell Flood
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:25:27 pm »
If you need any parts let me know. I'll help all I can.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:05:49 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Jerry.  If it's totally submerged, not much to do but salvage it for parts.  The engine and tranny would have to be completely cleaned out and the engine would probably need rebuilding.  You could pull all the GT specific panels and put together another "GT".  If the engine's gotten to quickly enough, it could be filled with kerosene or diesel and rolled over and over on an engine stand to absorb the water and coat everything  to keep it from rusting inside.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:58:42 pm »
When i get it back iam going to bring it into the hangar at work, & take it completely apart.. I have a space in the hangar where i can keep it.. The interior will get thrown out ( seats, carpet,headliner,door panals ) I think I'll redo the dash.. The eng will be completely taken apart & cleaned & put back
together with new main & rod bearings & cam bearings.. The block will be hot
tanked to get any sediment out of the water passages.. completely strip the heads, clean & reassemble.. All the body panels will be taken off & cleaned..
4 speed tranny taken apart cleaned & reassembled.. The bad thing is the tranny was rebuilt 35,000 miles ago when the new engine was installed.. I
should be fairly busy till spring.... I don't give up :(

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »
The tranny is pretty much sealed and if full of lubricant, may not have anything other than a little water inside it.  A good flushing should take care of it, if done quickly before anything starts to rust.  There's a nice white 85 GT on Craigslist up in Woodstock for $2000.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47:20 pm »
Well I got in to see the car this afternoon.. Have to walk across the bridge to get there, bridge got hit buy 3 fast floating tree's according sherrif, & they are not letting anyone across until it's inspected & given the seal of approval, but he let me walk since i live there & the car was still there.. The damage could have been worse, the car got hit by a 32 foot 5th wheel camber just before it sunk.. It broke the driver's door glass, the door outside skin, & a cracked windshield.. There is just a very fine layer of mud, about the thickness of a piece of paper on top of eng & interior.. The eng is full to top of dip stick tube with water & right side of body has a lot of scratches in paint, they don't appear to go thru to the panels.. On the bright side my sun-pro gages have no water in them.. This coming monday it will be totally disasembled to space frame & eng dismantled...  THE FUN BEGINS

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 08:48:57 am »
Yea, your in for more fun than you think. I've been there, I've completely disassembled more Fiero's than most and it aint fun no more. But.....take your time, bag and tag, and you'll loose half of those. Take pictures for reassembly purposes and get you a manual with the complete wiring diagrams for that particular car. When you know what all you need come up to the shop and bring a truck and we'll load you up.
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

85GT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:28:54 am »
Rob, I have the 85GT pontiac shop manual, & my digital camera is standing by.. Iam taking my time on it.. I figure when spring gets here I'll have a new fiero....

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
If you need any help with anything let me know. 423-506-0594
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 07:18:13 pm »
hey jerry sure sorry about your car. i talked to don last night and he didn't even know about your car, but he said if you need his tw dolly just give him a call. he also said he's got a bunch of parts and you could just come over and load up whatever you need. i don't think don use's his computer so if you need to talk to him you'll have to call him.
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

Rat Pee 86

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 05:19:20 am »
Hey Jerry,

Man, I am SO sorry to hear that you became one of those submerged cars I saw on the news.  :'(  At least you didn't paint it before this happened  :P  Once you get it restored we will have to throw you a party to celebrate.  I wonder if we can get you some of those FEMA funds to pay for the resto ?? :-\
Plus,  you did get a great run out of her at RFTH 2009.  I move that we put a picture of your soon to be restored car on the next RFTH t-shirt, you have paid a pretty hefty price. Or,.... btw, as Charlie mentioned the white 85 GT on e-bay...sounds like it might be an easier road to hoe than tearing your current ride to pieces, I have heard stories of submerged cars trying to be restored that just never quite were the same again, and those weren't 25 year old Fieros !  Whatever you decide, good luck Bud !

Rat Pee 86 (Tom)