Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: The Dragon is Closed  (Read 14737 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Dragon is Closed
« on: March 28, 2020, 08:38:45 pm »
I guess we won't be running the Dragon for a while.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dragon is Closed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 09:06:40 pm »
I'd hate to come around the turn from the other side at speed and see that.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:40:02 pm »
The news release I saw said it's about 3 miles south of The Dragon on US 129.  It came in part from KillBoy.  Hwy. 28 and the Foothills Parkway over to US 321 in Townsend is still open as is the Dragons Den.  My planned RFTH25 route would not have traveled through this area. 

killboy.com
March 27 at 8:33 PM ยท
Federal US Hwy 129 is now officially barricaded from ditch to ditch at the Graham county line. There are no personnel around, and no equipment nearby to move the barricades in case of fire or medical emergency.

This is located just around the corner from Tapoco Lodge, below Fugitive dam. Google Map: https://bit.ly/33Q59Bi

Again, this is in NC, 3 miles south of the Dragon, which is in TN. The 11 mile section of the Dragon remains open. Foothills Parkway in TN is also open.

There are no restrictions on Hwy 28 in Graham county as of 7:30pm tonight.

North Carolina has also now issued a Stay-at-home order to go in effect Monday, March 30th at 5pm and last at least one month. Gas/convenience stores such as Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort are considered essential and will remain open.

Please keep up to date on the official Tail of the Dragon, killboy.com, and Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort pages for accurate info.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:53:06 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 01:04:46 am »
Maybe some OLD non Fiero owners complained about all the curves so they are straightening it out.
Harry
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 09:07:33 am »
There was a major landslide that totally blocked the highway.  I like the way they placed barriers up the embankment and over to the edge so that motorcycles can't get around. 

I think it would be a good idea if TN and NC each put some kind of maze at a turnaround point like the big parking lot area north of the Dragon.  Make it zig-zag enough that cars and bikes could get through but trucks would have a place to turn around. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers