Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: On this Independence Day----------FREEDOM  (Read 13986 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
On this Independence Day----------FREEDOM
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:49:34 pm »
This was authored by an American Patriot and a friend.

Freedom.

Given recent events, that word should have new meaning.  In July, we celebrate the 244th anniversary of our independence from England.  This independence represented a freedom from repression, freedom from tyranny, and freedom from oppression.

Perhaps one of the greatest aspects of the “New World” was the freedom to be as big as we wished to be.  We weren’t born into a mold.  America truly was the land of opportunity.  By our own hand, we could become rich or poor; we could improve our life; we could live better than kings, or worse than paupers.  This freedom came with a terrible price: we had to work for it.  America is not just a place; it exists in the minds and hearts of people; location has little to do with it.

Until the COVID-19 pandemic, many of us had taken our freedoms for granted.  We could travel where we wished, gather in groups as large as we wished, go see movies, eat in restaurants, shop in stores, make physical contact with other people, and show our faces.  Heck, we even had the freedom to touch our own face!  For years, we enjoyed being able to speak our minds.

In an instant, almost, these freedoms vanished.  Suspicion and mistrust of others took the place of the freedoms we once enjoyed.  Social norms like shaking hands and hugging became bad habits—taboos.  Even participating in sports activities—or watching such activities from the bleachers—was stripped away.  Going to the gym was taken from us.  Restaurants, bars, and banks banned us from their interiors.  Gardening was fine—as long as you didn’t need to buy anything, in which case it was prohibited.  Amusement and nature parks closed.  At the stores, the products from what used to be a land of plenty became bare shelves.  Lines developed, and we had to wait in them.  Our roads emptied.  New terms, such as “Social Distancing” and “Shelter at Home” came into existence.  Physical barriers were erected to keep people segregated.  In many places, masks were required.  Violence broke out in some places, exposing the true nature of some people.

Many businesses closed, with some probably never to re-open.  People with once secure jobs were furloughed.  Even hospitals refused entry.  Despite a shortage of product for purchase, farmers couldn’t sell their produce.  Animals meant for consumption were destroyed.  Businesses that were open were understaffed.  People were forced to work from home.  Customer service took a further nose dive.

The economy that was booming came to a screeching halt.  Our bank accounts went on a diet, and our retirement funds sailed away.  For some of us, finances have been a challenge, over the last few months.  Some have suffered the dehumanizing indignity of accepting handouts from the government.  Others have accepted food from a pantry.  Although financially OK, others have been stuck at home with the valuelessness of having no job.

An enemy struck, from a distance, inflicting itself on us invisibly.  No one is immune.  Our mortality is before us, but we know not where or when.  More than 100,000 people died from the hand of this enemy.

Never before had our freedoms been so abrogated.  Across the board, we were relegated to a sub-human status.

Despite all this, we remained who we are.  Some of us got to learn things about ourselves—things we may or may not have liked.  In some cases, we got to know other people better—and may or may not have liked the new knowledge.  In this time of isolation, many of us have found who and what we are.

Some might call this our darkest hour, but this may yet be our finest hour.  As Americans, we have the blood of pioneers running through our veins.  We share an indomitable spirit.  We will not quietly fade into the night.  We will not succumb to fear, depression, or the mass hysteria pushed by the media.

This Independence Day, we will again speak with one voice.  We will declare that we will not be oppressed, repressed, or tyrannized.  For too many years, our rights have been trampled upon and slowly taken away.  For too long, we have suffered indignity and marginalization.  This must end.  We will not be stripped of our basic, natural freedoms.  Enough is enough!

It is up to us to lead the way.  Each of us are again called upon to rebuild our country, to cast off the tarnish, and remain the world’s shining star.  For many, we are the last ray of hope, and the last bastion of freedom.

This Independence Day, we once again restore our freedom!
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: On this Independence Day----------FREEDOM
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:28:57 pm »
I have to keep reminding myself that the 24/7 news cycle is to blame for the perception that our country is falling apart. If that’s not the case, and our freedoms are in fact eroding, I’m happy to stand and fight for the principles and freedoms that the founding fathers had the foresight to put down on paper. I’m not comfortable with erasing history. I’m not comfortable with allowing parts of our cities be turned into festering breeding grounds of anarchism thought.
I sincerely hope that I’m paranoid.  However paranoid, I know I’m not alone. I have a feeling we’re in the majority by far, just our voices aren’t dramatic enough for the 24/7 news cycle to pick up. Hang in there.
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 10:20:17 am »
Happy Independence Day, everyone.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 10:27:58 am »
Happy Independence Day to all who have fought for it, served for it, stand up for it, and to those who benefit by those who did.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 03:10:07 pm »
“I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty; it ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.”

— John Adams on the Declaration of Independence

(But please don't fire guns in the air. The bullets have to come down somewhere.)
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 03:14:35 pm »
I just heard that quote last night.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 10:28:05 pm »
The story of the National Anthem...

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 12:57:42 pm »
This version has the bodies holding the flag being removed.  My understanding was that the bodies were all still there, that as one person died, another came forward to help hold the flag.  By the time F.S. Key arrived, there was a pile of bodies, which was why the flag was at that angle.    That area of the fort was decimated.  The final location of the flag was almost 20 feet from the original location, because they wanted to keep the flag high enough to be seen, and there was a crater in the original location.  The timespan of the events described in this video took almost a full day.  I have heard different numbers for the people that died to keep the flag aloft, but I'm sure they would have kept going until the last man.

One thing the video does not mention, is that the women and children were offered a chance to leave, but refused.  Just prior to the onslaught, the British begged the women and children to leave.  The women refused to leave.  Somewhere, there was a quote of the refusal attributed to one of the women.  IIRC, the British admiral mentioned in the video had some further quotes on this subject.