Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fuel injector impedence question  (Read 16482 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fuel injector impedence question
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 09:58:07 pm »
It's a little rich in open loop.  Smells fine in closed loop when it's warmed up. 
Sandman tweaked the TPS stop a little and it fixed the problem. 
Car doesn't seem to have the power and acceleration it did before, but if I put it to the floor, it will accelerate just fine.  Any gear. 

Thanks for clearing up the impedance question.  I think first thing I'll do is try the TPS adjustment.  That's easiest.  Then maybe another new o2 sensor.  The one that's in isn't more than a year old. 

For now, the car's back under wraps until the weather clears up. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 10:23:56 pm »
The acceleration characteristics may indeed be different. I'm not surprised.
It'll probably take the ECM time to adapt to how those injectors work, and it will probably take some time for your "butt dyno" to get recalibrated, too. (You think I'm joking, but perception IS reality. Give it a bit.)
Once you've had them in there for a bit, we can scan it, and see what the fueling is doing.

Edit -  Are you still running the stock chip?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 10:27:19 pm »
I have about 100 miles on it so far.  Maybe you can make the meeting this month? 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 10:35:38 pm »
I have about 100 miles on it so far.  Maybe you can make the meeting this month?

Not sure. I'm going to wing it. My second shot is on the 15th.
If I come. I'll bring my scanner.
We can talk, before then.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:37:34 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 10:44:24 pm »
That sounds like a vacuum leak.

I'm thinking it also sounds like what happens when you plug disk type injectors into a Fiero ECM.
But I'll withhold comment until I see what the injectors are.

Bosch 280 150 941 @ 14.3 ohms, old injectors flowing 14.1 or 14.4 # /hr, depending upon which Bosch chart you consult.  43.5 psi
Bosch 280 150 415 @ 15.9 ohms, new injectors flowing 16.6 #/hr @ 43.5 psi.  These are Bosch EV1 injectors.  4 pintle.

I think that 4-pintle injectors may be a problem.  Someone else tried those, and the ECU was not very happy.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 11:05:21 pm »
I only know of tnkgnr in Virginia that's having a chockingly rich burn.  I've worked with 3 or 4 others on the 3.4 conversion and all are getting good results. 

Raydar, the meeting is the 10th.  And isn't tnkgnr Ramon's son?  Seems that's the name that contacted me years ago asking us to help put Ramon's car back together as a birthday present, or something. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 11:10:33 pm »

Not sure. I'm going to wing it. My second shot is on the 15th.
If I come. I'll bring my scanner.
We can talk, before then.

My first shot is usually effective.   ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 11:14:44 pm »
I only know of tnkgnr in Virginia that's having a chockingly rich burn.  I've worked with 3 or 4 others on the 3.4 conversion and all are getting good results. 

Raydar, the meeting is the 10th.  And isn't tnkgnr Ramon's son?  Seems that's the name that contacted me years ago asking us to help put Ramon's car back together as a birthday present, or something.

Which ECU did they use?  My stock ECU was able to handle some things that an '86 ECU could not.

My '7730 did not like the Accel injectors.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 11:43:22 pm »

The ECU should have adjusted, by now, if you had a 30zmile run in there.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 11:45:03 pm »
Sandman07 had the same problem and he had to reset the TPS.  Though we changed nor touched anything else, this issue surfaced immediately after startup.  These injectors flow a little more than the old ones and seem to work well out on the highway.

I suspect he basically just increased the idle, thus masking the problem.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2021, 11:50:48 pm »

I read that thread.  His issues sounds like the same issues you have.  Only difference is, he doesn't have a good set of injectors to which to return.

BTW, Rodney's lines work fine on my Fiero, including the line from the MAP to the FPR, so likely not the issue.

Why noy get another set of the injectors that were supposed to be used for your 3.4 swap?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2021, 08:15:03 am »
As far as I know, all are using their stock Fiero ECU.

When Sandman adjusted the TPS stop, the stumbling and stalling went away and the idle is smooth at 1100 rpm, so it really didn't mask the problem.

I already have over $200 into the rebuilt 3.1 injectors and their replacements, plus what I paid for these.  I don't really have the money to spend.  I'd rather try to solve the problem before buying more expensive parts.  If I can't find the cause, I'll go back to what I just pulled out.  After all, other than showing they were lean at wide open throttle, they have given me a dependable 50k miles. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2021, 08:19:49 am »
Maybe I'm missing something, but my understanding is that opening the throttle a bit stops the idle surge, the stumbling, and the stalling.  It would seem that adjusting the TPS stop would slightly open the throttle.

Reading up on this, it seems that some people fixed this by making an adjustment to the ECU.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2021, 08:21:26 am »
I should mention that several of my vacuum line elbows ended up with small leaks, and had to be replaced.  The main leak was the line from the PCV to the throttle body, at the throttle body end.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2021, 08:33:54 am »
We checked fit on all fittings.  The only one that was loose was the elbow at the EGR valve.  It got some Ultra Black RTV on the tube, let it harden just a bit, then slipped the elbow onto the line.  No EGR codes.