Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New fiero owner  (Read 15786 times)

allaroundfishin

New fiero owner
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:21:22 am »
Hello everyone My name is Nick I live on Tybee Island near savannah. I just bought a 85 Fiero with a V6 I have always wanted one. Car is in pretty good shape but seams two cylinders have lost commpression. I have never worked on a Fiero and would love any advice on how to repair the engine and any other issues I may find later on.

I picked this car up for $700 for a guy who needed the money and was in the progress of fixin it up. it runs and drives just does not have the power it should. Thank you for any advice and glad to have found this site

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:26:16 am by allaroundfishin »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New fiero owner
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:25:55 am »
Have you run a compression test on the engine? If you ran a compression test and found two cylinders low, squirt a little oil into those cylinders, turn the engine over a few times, and  run the test again. If the compression is higher now, the problem is rings. If it is still low, the problem could be valves, or it could be a leaking head gasket. In either case the fix will be easier if the compression is still low after putting in the oil.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 09:51:37 am »
Welcome to the forum. I vacationed at Tybee Island 1 week, nice place. If the compression check is good, check the cap, wires, and plugs. If all that checks good then you'll need to check the injectors and injector harness. Could just be a bad connection.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

allaroundfishin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
I know i getting blow by just not sure if its the rings or valves. good feeling its the rings. I got a compression tester so i will put it to work. But by chance its the rings what is the easiest way to start that project. from what i hear it would be a pain to do from the bottom.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:18:09 pm »
Some pull engines from the top.  I think most agree that it's easier to remove the complete cradle assembly.  Leaving the engine in the car and replacing the rings would be very difficult, especially in honing the cylinders on the front side of the engine and being able to do visible inspection of your work. 

When replacing the rings, it's advisable to also replace your crank and rod bearings due to the stress that's placed on them by the renewed compression.  The crankshaft would need to be removed to do this.  Probably near impossible with the engine in the car.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »
It's easier to just drop the cradle assembly, motor, tranny and all. Then you've got everything right there easy to work on without leanning over the car scratching the paint and stretching your back muscles. And if your doing rings, go ahead and do a complete rebuild. If you do it yourself and know what your doing it shouldn't cost more than $600 if you just get the basics.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net