Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: ECM 7730 Swap  (Read 18673 times)

Flyboy81

• View Profile
ECM 7730 Swap
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:26:27 pm »
Im offering to do the ECM swap to the 1227730 ECM, parts, labor and all for $550.  If you supply the parts, Ill put them in for $250.  (takes 4 to 5 hours) 
    As Ive said befor, this is a nice way to gain yourself about 20 HP and it will improve the driveability of the car noticeably. You can contact Robert at ETFC or post here if youre interested and we'll work out the details. 

Flyboy81

• View Profile
Re: ECM 7730 Swap
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:44:27 pm »
Still offering this swap to anyone interested.  It will take me approximately 5 hours to complete.  If you supply the parts, Ill install them and rewire the car for $250.  Still $500 bucks if I supply the parts and labor. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:20:41 pm »
Derek, if I go to pullapart, what car do I get the 7730 ECM from?  Like the Fiero, does it have to be from a manual trans car to go into a manual trans Fiero and have the same options as the Fiero, like cruise and AC? 

What do you need from the donor car in the way of wiring harnesses? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »
The ECM comes from V6 corsicas 92 and back, 90-92 camaro v6, almost anything 90-92 3.1 v6 GM has this ECM.  The service number on the ECM will be 01227730.  It doesnt have to be manual nor does it have to have any of the options as the ECM can be programmed to run with what options needed.  I need the ECM and ECM connectors, the EGR and EGR pigtail and the knock sensor from a car of that era as well.  Youll need to talk to flimbob on Pennocks to get the aluminum EGR adapter to make the digital EGR fit to the Fiero Y-pipe. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:08:19 pm »
Do you leave the Fiero wiring intact and connect through adaptors in the event someone wants to swap back, or do you cut the Fiero wiring harnesses and install the 7730 connectors onto them? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:37:53 pm »
The ECM wiring is left intact, I just repin the wiring into the plugs.  The Fiero harness is no left fully intact though.  I cut the EGR Vacuum solenoid completely off and cut the connector.  Those wires then get used for electric fan, knock sensor and other connections that need to be made.  I also add in the digital EGR wiring to the harness.  Generally, once the swap is done, no one would want to swap it back.  The 7730 ECMs are more reliable, cheaper to replace and easier to service.  I suppose if you wanted to switch it back it could be done without much trouble.

Flyboy81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:57:35 pm »
Well, oldones ecm swap is complete and runs great.  I believe he said it seemed gas mileage was better and performance was increased as well.  It sounds really good.  Just let me know if anyone else wants their ecm swapped over.

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 08:40:36 am »
mileage is up to a little over 26 from 22. i think it might go a little higher. acceleration and power are definetly up. idle is down and and running much smoother. vaccum egr gone and replaced with electronic egr, so no more service engine light. acceleration response is definetly quicker, all and all a good investment plus 20hp is nice.   thanks derek!
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite