Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Getting into a the fiero  (Read 17248 times)

sonic50

• View Profile
Getting into a the fiero
« on: March 14, 2010, 01:40:15 pm »
OK, With all you fiero nuts letting me drive the fiero in the perade has gotten me to go crazy. THANKS PAT!
Now With the yellow fiero I have lost the keys, Doors are unlocked but the decklid is locked. I have called the fiero store on getting new deck lid lock with key and one for the steering wheel column.
Now my question is how the hell do I get the deck lid open with out the key. Can I drill it out? OR am i going to have to get a lock smith. (i dont want to do. cost too much money)

Also dose anyone have a link on a post or a article on how to replace the one on the steering wheel?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting into a the fiero
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »
Take your VIN and proof of ownership to a GM dealer. They are supposed to be able to supply keys from that.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »
Since it's an SE, I'm guessing it has a remote trunk release.  You can borrow my remote charger to power up through your cigar lighter.  It plugs into the donor and recipient cigar lighter and will power up the car enough to open the trunk.

You can also jack the car up, go underneath and clip a jumper onto the starter feed, and the ground end onto the frame.  Connect the other ends to a good battery and open the trunk.

Or do this:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/085536.html
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

sonic50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:26:06 pm »
Pat, I have talked to all the gm dealers around my area saying that they don't replace keys on car 94 and older because its the key code is not in the system anymore.

I never thought about jacking it up and putting cable on that way. Not a bad idea.
What is the remote charger? Did you make it or can I get my own some place.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:54:01 pm »
It's a production item.  Might have come from Big Lots or Wal-Mart.  Mel bought it, and she doesn't shop at auto parts stores.  The jumper wire on the release button is the easiest if you don't have the same device I have.  If you can't find one, let me know.  It has an inline transformer about 3 inches thick by 4 inches square and a plug like your mobile cell phone cord, on each end.

There's a thread on Pennocks titled Inside the GM Tilt Column.  I think it's by BuddyCraigg.  Full teardown and reassembly. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

sonic50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:40:03 pm »
Sweet,  I will have to take a look for it at the store. Hope I can find one.

I will look for that thread on pff. I just scares me to play in that area because I dont  want to mess it up.. But since IT s not my daily driver I am going to go for it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:12:47 pm »
You'll need a steering wheel lock compressor.  You can find them at the parts store for about $10.  Makes removal of the little lock ring on the top of the column shaft much easier.  The PFF thread refers to it, and I believe it even had a picture of one. 

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 08:57:33 pm »
If your doing the swap all you have to do is remind me to tighten up your steering column and I can also get into the trunk.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

sonic50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 09:29:00 pm »
Rob, You will be doing the swap. lol. the reason why I need in the trunk so bad is to get to some stuff in the trunk. I will go ahead and swap out the lock and the steering wheel because the wheel is locked It wont be much fun trying to get it on the trailer.

Not 100 percent sure when the next time I will be home but I am hoping I will have the money to do the swap and rent a U-haul to get the car up there. But I will be sure to let you know.. Or not. But then I wont be able to get to your shop. But Like I said mostly just want to be able to get to the trunk.