Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Cramming for the test (RFTH16)  (Read 14892 times)

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
Cramming for the test (RFTH16)
« on: September 08, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »
We intend to bring the convertible to RFTH again this year...but it developed some major issues since last year's run.  I severely overheated it on the Capitol City Fieros Fall Color Tour up in Michigan last year, and I strongly suspected the problems were caused by a head gasket.  Plus, I was getting a funky noise from the lower end and expected it to result in a bearing going bad very soon.  Hmmm....there is a very nice 63k mile 2.5 sitting in the corner of my garage that I was saving for my mother's car (until I ended up with a 4.9 swap for her).  We decided it was time to put this motor to use.

Our soft deadline was Friday so that we could make the Saturday meeting...but we have accepted the fact that we aren't going to make that at this point.  Our hard deadline is RFTH.

Our goals:
1. Get the new engine cleaned, installed and running perfectly.  This also requires a new wiring harness, and some chassis side wiring corrections for the auto swap (was originally a manual car)

2. Tear the seats out.  The seat brackets are rusted in place, making this a challenge...but we need to replace the seats...they are torn up, they have a nasty vinyl skin, and the seat backs are broken and lay against the firewall.  We also need to get them out to resolve goal 4.

3. Replace the vinyl floor covering with original carpeting (I have a carpet set from an 88 that we will drop in)

4. Put proper seat belts in the car.  Right now, it only has lap belts.  We want to do this primarily for safety reasons...but we are not sure if it will pass inspection with just lap belts.  We intend to mount the shoulder mount to the upper corner of the firewall with a 1/4" backing plate on the engine side.

First...we yanked the old motor...

Stripped it (pic is partially stripped)...

Then we got parts sandblasted and powdercoated....and painted the new engine block...this brings us to Tuesday evening....

Wednesday, I started assembling things.  First delay was the bolts.  The original engine had been pulled apart and reassembled multiple times, so bolt sets were mismatched.  With the pure white background, those details will stand out.  So, I spent most of the day tracking down matching bolts, cleaning them, and painting them.  I also discovered that during powdercoating, we got too much powder in some of the bolt holes.  I thought I would be able to put the bolts in with just a little more resistance, until I broke the bolt that holds the alternator bracket to the intake.  Now I have to drill it out, retap it...then tap all the other holes that are clogged.  And of course, I didn't have an 8x1.25 tap...so this brings us to Wednesday night...

I will update again when we call it quits tonight.

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
Re: Cramming for the test (RFTH16)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 01:22:47 am »
We've gotten a bit further.  Broken bolt is drilled and tapped.  Distributor is in with new cap and rotor.  We found out we need a new Coolant Fan Switch (which explains why we couldn't get the fan to kick on before....hopefully that is the only thing that was wrong with it)...we are going to pick up new plugs and wires along with it.  We decided to toss in a new oil pressure switch since it is such a tough one to get to.  Tomorrow morning we will get the thottle body on, then drop it on the cradle with new mounts all around.  Then install the exhaust, and put it in the car.  The goal is to get it inspected on Monday.

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
Re: Cramming for the test (RFTH16)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:30:21 am »

Since that photo was taken, it has been attached to the tranny and mounted to the cradle with new mounts (was too dark for photos by the time this was done). Ready for wiring (fresh wiring harness is ready to go) and vacuum lines, and the car will be dropped onto it tomorrow. I have been amazed at all the little details required to make an engine look perfect...they have definitely added a lot of unscheduled time to the project. I have also been amazed at how hard it is to get some of the parts for the duke. Almost every part has had to be ordered...I think the spark plugs are about the only thing the local Advance Auto had in stock....that has also added time that wasn't planned. I expect to be firing it up Wednesday once the PCV and air cleaner grommets arrive. I didn't plan on replacing them...figured I had 4 dukes sitting here to get parts off of, one of them should have good grommets, right? Yeah...they were all good until you try removing them. I gave up after trying to remove the second set.

On a side note...the car currently does not have air conditioning...but we intend to install it in early spring, so the engine and wiring harness are being set up for it here (dual pulleys on the engine and compressor wiring in the harness).