Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 86 Fiero SE  (Read 29382 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 86 Fiero SE
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 02:33:04 pm »
The car is a "space frame" with a separate "cradle" for the engine and drive components. The space frame can be driven without the plastic panels on. The entire space frame contributes to the overall strength of the car, so if you remove any part of it, such as the top, you have to brace the rest.
V8 Archie sells frame stiffening parts.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

l82roadster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:55 pm »
I got my fiero home and the front brakes are locked down, the calipers are coming off now. I can't get the front trunk open and the cable seems to be frozen up. How can I open the front trunk without tearing too much up? The rear trunk (engine cover) key will not turn I sprayed a bunch of pb Blaster in the lock cylinder and it still won't turn. How do I get the engine cover open without a key? The drivers side door lock was also seized but the pb blaster made it turn. I don't want ruin the hood and trunk lids getting them open.

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 03:43:27 pm »
i guess i would disconnect the release handle from the cable on the front hood and try to spray some lubricant down the cable (not easy) and then re-attach the handle and then work the handle back and forth, maybe it will work its way loose. on the rear lid are you sure thats the right key for that lid, does it open the doors? i bought an 85gt and got 3 keys , 1 ignition and 2 trunk and door keys. 1 trunk key didn't work at all and the other one just barely go in the lock, after some lube and lots of turning it finaly opened. the only other thing i can think of is possibly prying the end of one of the grills, the end by the window that slips over the pins.       good luck     oldone in c'ville
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 06:54:39 pm »
On the front hood they made a backup cable that should be mounted towards the back of the release lever. You'll probably have to use plier to pull it. On the rear trunk you should have a button on the right side of the steering wheel that's a trunk release. If the battery is dead you'll have to plug something like a phone charger into the cigarette lighter and split the wires and connect them to a battery, then you can pop the trunk.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 06:56:19 pm »
There is an emergency release cable for the front hood. Look under the dash at the release lever and locate a small wire with a bob on the end of it that looks sort of like a fishing weight. The bob will usually be secured in a plastic clip. Remove it and pull towards the back of the car. If the other cable is frozen/broken, that should open the hood. If the latch is frozen, it won't

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 06:59:15 pm »
If the front hood latch handle moves, but won't release the lid, it may be that the cable is broken.  There's a backup cable in the system.  Kneal down on the ground and look at the release handle.  There will be a cable curled up with a long metal end piece snapped into a clip.  Remove it from the clip and pull it with a pair of pliers.  If the latch is working, this will release it.  

For the engine deck lid, you can't get into the trunk any way but with the key or a remote release.  Breaking into the grills will only break the grills and give you access to the battery or air filter.  If you can't get the key to work, then it's best to call a locksmith.  I'm guessing that you don't have a remote trunk release on the upper right side of the instrument pod?  If you do, and you just have a dead battery, let me know and I can get you into the engine compartment.

Edit: for what they said about the release cable.  I have a device that plugs into the cigarette lighter and powers up the car.  Also, you can use a 9V battery on the trunk release switch and get it to release.

Edit again:  Here's a how-to with pics on jumping the release switch.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/085536.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:04:38 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

l82roadster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 05:21:07 pm »
Thanks Y'all I got the trunk/engine cover with a battery charger, I found the window sticker in the storage compartment in the back.The car was sold new at John Mcdonald in Roswell and stikcered at $13,700.
The front hood ,I am not so lucky I had already pulled the emergency cable and it is stuck in the back position but the latch is still locked.The sides of the front hood are loose but in the center it is locked solid.I imagine the latch is in the center.I took the driver side wheel well (plastic) out but there is no access.I don't want to tear the hood up trying to get it loose, any ideas gentlemen? The front brakes are locked down, so I imagine the pistons have swelled.I will take them off once I get the trunk lid open( so I can access the master cylinder).

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 06:20:21 pm »
If you'll take a prybar and pry up on the hood at the latch carefully you can take a 1/4" drive extension with a wiggle joint on it and I think it's an 8 mm socket and remove the cable assembly from the latch assembly. There's only one bolt that holds it on, but after you get the bolt out you can push it towards the drivers side and it should come off the latch. Then you can take a long flat screwdriver and trip the release lever.
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

l82roadster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 06:24:58 pm »
Thanks Rob I will try that.In the event that it doesn't work can I remove the front clip with out the hood open? There are a lot of leaves and debris in that area probably causing the latch to not open.

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 06:30:40 pm »
No.
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 06:37:27 pm »
A shop vac works wonders on the leaves. And you might want to have a magnet handy when you go to remove the cable from the latch. I usually knock my socket off atleast a half a dozen times. You'll more than likely bend the back side of the latch opening just a little but you can straighten it up once you get the hood open. If you need a new releae cable I should have one or somebody down there will have an extra.
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

l82roadster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 06:05:35 pm »
Thanks Rob, I will try the prybar idea.If I can get to the latch I may be able to trip it with a screwdriver.

l82roadster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 03:44:57 pm »
I got the hood open by putting 2x4's under each side of the hood and pulling on the cable, I need a new cable. And the front brake pistons were swelled I have one out the other one is still stuck in the caliper.Can I buy just the pistons?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 04:30:40 pm »
Much easier to buy rebuilt calipers. They are not that expensive.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 06:19:57 pm »
I think you can get aluminum pistons for them to replace the phenolic pistons.  The rebuild kits are available at the local auto parts stores.  Like Pat says, you could probably get a rebuilt caliper for cheap.  Also, Don Hulse usually keeps a few rebuilt sets on hand.  He just takes yours as a core so he can rebuild them and have them ready when someone needs one.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers