Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: THREADS ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING  (Read 93105 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: THREADS ABOUT A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2018, 06:01:00 pm »
Icy overnight, here.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2018, 06:05:12 pm »
It's actually a second layer.  The holes don't go all the way through.  At least on none of the pairs I've had.  Might be a good thing.  Instead of Big Foot, when I was a kid my sister called me Stinky Toe.

I didn't want to clutter the other thread.

I am no expert on smelly feet, but here are some tips I've learned.

1. Don't just lackadaisically wash your feet: SCRUB them daily with soap, especially between your toes and under your toenails.
2. After washing, dry your feet COMPLETELY.  NEVER let your feet air dry.  Concentrate on drying your toes and the bottoms of your feet.
3. Do not wear your shoes for 16 hours.  Change your shoes after about 8 hours.
4. Some feet do not like certain shoe linings.  Plastic shoe liners are generally bad.  Do not go without socks in your shoes.
5. Just like clammy hands, clammy feet are bad.  Keep your feet dry.
6. Use fresh, clean, dry socks every day.  Thicker socks may work better for some people, and thinner socks for other people.  Dress socks seem to contribute to the clammy/smelly feet issue.
7. The sock material matters.  Try changing materials.  You want an absorptive material.
8. You can put a bit of baby powder in the bottom of your shoes to help with moisture.  If your socks are not white, put the powder under the bottom shoe liner.

After about 1 month, your feet should lose their smell.  If you replace your shoes, the time will be shorter.  Sometimes, shoes are too far gone to save.  If a shoe does not air out on its own after 3 days, time to go.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:52:00 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2018, 06:45:58 pm »
I stopped buying shoes with any manmade materials other than maybe the outer sole and heel.  Manmade material shoes are hot because they don't breathe or absorb.  Manmade material shoes cost me close to $100/pair and only last 4-5 months.  The shoes in that picture are 100% leather and cost just over $150. 

My socks are at least 50% cotton.  I use a back scrubber brush, rubbed on my soap bar, to scrub my feet  especially the toes and sole. 

I haven't had a foot odor problem since retiring in 1999.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Robs Fieros

• President of the East Tennessee Fiero Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2018, 02:24:45 pm »
It's raining now and it's 64 degrees outside, but I fixed my deadbolt on my back door. Tomorrow I getting another light installed over my ramp and getting my chimney fixed.
President of East Tennessee Fiero Club

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2018, 04:24:40 pm »
Raining here, too.  Coincidentally, I repaced all my deadbolts and door locks Monday.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2018, 04:25:22 pm »

I haven't had a foot odor problem since retiring in 1999.

Did you have to wear plastic shoes?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2018, 07:18:26 pm »
I installed, serviced and maintained golf course irrigation stations  A very wet environment with hours that sometimes exceeded 16 hours per day. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »
Not every day you see this:

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2018, 01:39:58 pm »
I happened to come across this.  It shows the club founded in 2002, president Ron Rizzi, with 45 members.  Who knew?

This was a google search for fiero club georgia.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2018, 05:00:56 pm »
I had never heard of that website and I don't remember what the new incorporation date was all about.  I think Ron might have been President back then, and also the webmaster.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »
Did we shrink?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2018, 09:02:00 am »
Some people have multiple graduate degrees, or multiple certifications.  Just wondering, but do you include everything that led to your highest achievement, or just your highest achievement?

For example, if you have a BS degree, do you list your assiciate degree, your high school, and your grade school, or, since you have the BS degree, can you omit the things that brought you to that point?

In the case of certifications, I see people listing MCP, A+, Security+, Network+, MCSA, and MCSE.

MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) means you have passed a Microsoft test.  ANY Microsoft test.  I NEVER list this.

A+ means you have 6 months' worth of computer tech experience.  So does most of the developed world.  Congrats.  You know the parts of a computer.  A rather mundane COMPTIA test.

Security+ is more worthwhile, in theory, but is supposed to demonstrate your ability to secure networks.  Only it's always behind.  So, you know how to secure networks, but only if you go back in time a few years.  Another COMPTIA test.

Network+ is a COMPTIA test about subnetting, supernetting, and CIDR notation.  This one is actually useful, but any network professional would be proficient in this area.

MCSA is a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator.  To gain this certification, one must pass all the previous tests, as well as some other tests, including a Microsoft Server test.  Basically, this is every network professional.  This may include some Geek Squad people, and the hole-in-the-wall IT places.

MCSE is a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.  To gain this certification, one must pass all the previous tests, as well as some other tests, including additional Microsoft tests, such as a database or Exchange test.  This is probably half of the network professionals.  The people with this level of certification include the majority of IT contractors, lots of help desk agents, and the business ISP people who handle the on-premise equipment.

CCNA, CCNP, CCIE are Cisco tests about routing and switching.  These are usually worth listing, as are CISM and CRISC, which are security certifications.  An MCSA may have some of these certifications.  Usually, these people are the full-time IT staff, some IT contractors, and the tier 3 backbone engineers.

When you list your age, you don't list milestones: 13, 16, 18, 21, 25, 35, etc, right?

I don't want to detract from the effort of taking these tests--especially now that many of these are no longer lifetime.

I have some certifications coming due in March.  To refresh us, they sent a guy who listed EVERY SINGLE test he has taken.  I really don't care if he is certified in Excel or Access, or underwater basket weaving.

How do you list your degrees or certifications?

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2018, 02:35:20 am »
I don't mind listing most of my titles and certs, especially living in Germany, where titles are valued very highly.
But I see what you are saying, some are either redundant, or just plain out of date. I don't list my MSc..........but I certainly list my DCS!
But I must say, I've noticed, after being in a hire and fire position myself, somebody listing a plethora of certs does demanstrate that the candidate is diversified, and that makes him or her attractive to potential employers.

Don Kienlen, DCS
CCNP/CCDP, MCT, MCSE, Security+, ISO 9001-2000 Project Management Certified, ITIL Foundation & Service Design Professional

:-).........had to brag a bit
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:38:29 am by Donster »
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2018, 07:52:33 am »
Pat Swayne, computer geek. 'Nuff said.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2018, 07:56:23 am »
I usually let my references speak for me.  People want something fixed.  I can fix it.  They did not get my number by accident.  There is more work than I can do, so they can go somewhere else, if they don't like my list of certs.

We have teacher "engineers" with no real-world experience.  Often, I think the people who take the classes are dumber for having taken the classes.  I have to break them of so many bad habits.  Yes, they have some basic understanding, but much that they were taught in class must be re-taught correctly.

For example, a guy who had 2 4-year IT degrees, and a plethora of certs, and a tech school degree, after being with us for 4 years, is still basically a desktop tech, because he is still trying to do what he was taught in school.  Schools teach on virtualization, leaving their students with no hands-on experience.

I would far rather see what the prospective employee has actually done, than a list of certs.