Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Andy's never ending weird engine problems  (Read 37334 times)

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Andy's never ending weird engine problems
« on: November 27, 2008, 06:42:02 pm »
the car has been running great up until the past day or so. after driving for while(25 - 30mins) it starts sputtering. and when put it in neutral, it dies. when i crank back up it runs fine for a while, then starts up again. any ideas?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:25:40 am by cogcaviz24 »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: sputtering and backfiring
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 06:45:38 pm »
Do you get a Service Engine Soon light? If so, have you checked the codes?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:40:54 pm »
it comes on and then goes off. i'll check to see what code it is tomorrow asap

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:12:34 am »
during my idle time at work, i often watch youtube videos on my phone. tonight, I did a search for "fiero, how to" and among some the videos that resulted(many i found very imformitive) I found a video on how to check engine codes. anywho, i checked my car's codes and i got 12,12,12,35,35,12. the video explaned what 12 meant. i then used the online service manual linked on the home page and found 35 is: Idle Air Control - This code will be set when the closed throttle speed is 50 RPM above or below the correct idle speed for 30 seconds. Check for vacuum leaks. Replace the IAC.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:19:46 am by cogcaviz24 »

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 02:20:21 am »

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:29:17 am »
Sounds more like your pickup coil breaking down after it gets hot.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 08:48:39 am »
Vacuum leaks usually cause a fast idle, which doesn't wait 30 minutes to happen. Try disconnecting and re-connecting the wires on your ignition module and spark coil. This will wipe the contacts. Sometimes bad contacts cause symptoms of bad parts. Eliminate the free problems before you spend money.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:59:41 am »
First, I'd suggest that you purchase a Haynes Manual.  If Old One and I82roadster are reading this, I'd suggest the same for them.  There are several versions.  There's the small handbook, just a little bigger than a Readers Digest, then there are 2 full-sized versions.  Version 79008 (1232) doesn't have the updates in it, that covers some of the changes that were made during the model years.  It also doesn't have some info for the 88's.  That number is in the upper right front corner of the cover.

I interpret that your check engine light comes on only after driving, but not while sitting at idle.  With that, first thing I'd check would be vacuum leaks.  I just read a thread that suggested spraying brake cleaner fluid over all your vacuum lines but cautioned to have a fire extinguisher readily available.  Simply said--DON'T.

However, you can use a small hand held propane torch.  With the engine at operating temp, turn on the torch but don't light it.  Pass the nozzle slowly along all vacuum lines and connections.  The engine will gain rpm when you get to the vacuum leak.  I've used this many times, and have only had one ignition.  I passed near an arching spark plug wire and it lit the torch.  No explosion, it just lit the torch.

I've tried to find the number for the correct Haynes Manual, but can't.  Robbie, if you're reading this, the book you have is the correct one.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 01:34:37 pm »
i bought a haynes manual earlier today, number 79008. it has info on the 88 model. I've been at the in-laws for the past 2 hours. so I've had plenty of time to thumb through it. i have an idea of what to check.

my car does idle a little high in park. i didnt think much about at first, not being 100 percent familar with this car. 

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 02:59:28 pm »
just wondering where did you get the haynes that covers the 1988 model     thanks   oldone in c'ville
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 03:27:58 pm »
If you really want a good manual for your car, get a Helms manual. This is the factory shop manual. They are specific for each year. You can get them directly from Helms, or they can usually be found on Ebay. Expensive, but worth it. For example, the Helms manual is the only one that tells how to re-align the balance shafts on an 88 duke if you happen to take one apart.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 04:03:56 pm »
i bought a haynes manual earlier today, number 79008. it has info on the 88 model.  

The 79008 does cover the 88, but there's another version that has a supplementary section added that covered some changes that were made later in the production years. 

The Haynes Manuals can be had at AutoZone or Advance.  And for everyone who doesn't know, you can get a discount on your Fiero Parts at Main Auto Parts.  Contact me to find out how.

cmmsewell at g mail dot com
Charlie

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 04:44:48 pm »
i checked her out and I did everything suggested. the PCV valve is checked good. all the vacuum lines are good, with the exception of one. the one coming out of the back of the EGR Vacumm control solenoid was cut at the hard line. not sure if this was the root of the problem, but i reconnected it anyway. i reset the ecm. so if it happens again, i'll be picking up a idle control module, pickup coil, and at $2.29, i'll grab a pcv too

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 05:21:27 pm »
If it's the line I'm thinking of, the rubber line that connects to the metal line on the rear firewall, that's just for fresh air for the solenoid.  Pulls from the air filter canister.  Look closely at the little L shaped hose on the solenoid.  Don't move it around much, just visually inspect it for cracks.  Usually that little rubber piece rots away or the line cracks.  If you should happen to destroy yours, I have a piece of replacement hose.

Also check the hoses underneath the MAT sensor.

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 06:44:23 pm »
you mean the MAP right?