Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero 1227730 ECM conversion  (Read 64825 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fiero 1227730 ECM conversion
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 06:53:11 pm »
I looked on their site and they have 3 different sizes.  I think one of them might work for you.  I don't know if you can cut the top of the box down to reduce overall height, but if the sides aren't tapered, it might be doable.  West Marine has free-standing stores around the country, so there may be one near you. 
Battery Boxes:    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=102091&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50543&classNum=50546#.UaZ_B9jYDTo

Since the engine compartment fan was dropped in 88, probably because they found it wasn't needed, it may be possible to modify the alternator port and direct it into the battery box for fresh air circulation whenever the engine cooling fan comes on. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 07:00:08 pm »
I checked out their website and found 3 battery boxes.  You might be able to make one of them fit your application.  If the sides of the box aren't tapered, you may be able to cut down the height in order to get the lid to fit into the space underneath the back glass.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=102091&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50523&subdeptNum=50543&classNum=50546#.UaZ_B9jYDTo

Since they apparently decided that the engine compartment fan wasn't needed and it was dropped in 88, you might also be able to modify the pipe directed at the alternator and extend a hose over to the battery box to provide cooling when the compartment fan kicks on.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 02:27:01 pm »
Thanks for the link. I didn

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 09:06:34 am »
Just wanted to take a quick minute to say...IT'S ALIVE!!!...more on that later.

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 10:14:28 am »
Ok so before I go on to my update as to the status of this conversion project I

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 10:15:58 am »
In this pic I

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 10:16:56 am »
Here is a shot of the new knock sensor installed. The view is from where the muffler normally resides. As you can see, getting the muffler out of the way really exposes the block pretty well.

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:41 am »
A shot of the wire repining process in the works. Before starting the process I did a mock repining with the pigtails of the new clips. I highly recommend doing that for several reasons. 1) It gives you practice on removing and reinstalling wires from the clips. 2) The wires and wire colors on the new clip are not always the same as the repining instructions so you can move wires and remove wires as needed. That way when you start repining into the car the wires and locations match. Granite you will be removing the pigtails and replacing them with the wires from the Fiero but it gives you more assurance that you are connecting them in the correct location when you see that a wire of the same color is in that location. And 3) while you are doing the mock repinning I would suggest marking each wire with the name of what its for as well as the pin location of the Fiero. That way when you got through the repinning process and you pull a wire from the Fiero you can locate the correct wire on the new clip and see that it has the same name as well as telling you where you should have gotten the wire from on the Fiero harness. With all three of those steps put in place you

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 10:22:48 am »
Here is a behind the scenes look at the

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:34 am »
This isn

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 10:50:40 am »
Here I

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:16 am »
The last pic I have handy at the moment is a shot of the digital EGR installed. The GFC adapter plate fit perfectly and looks good.

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 12:09:03 pm »
I must have had quite a set-up for my old ignition system. Last year I did the 3.4 conversion. I started it in February 2012 and finished it sometime in June. While doing the conversion I added an A1 Cardone distributor, performance module, MSD Blaster coil, new plugs, wires cap and rotor. Here we are about a year later and I think my car probably would have broken down at some point in the near future. After removing the cap I notice that the charred remains of the center pin fell out. Looking in the cap I could see the center part of the cap is all burned up. That must have been an intense ignition system. When I bought the cap and rotor the rotor was the same shade of red as the cap and now it

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 01:48:10 pm »
Many are reporting that upgrading to the higher performance ignition coils causes pickup coils and ignition control modules to fail frequently.  They just aren't designed for that extra voltage or amperage.  I'm not surprised at what you found.

Very good progress, and especially for the first startup. 

HEY! You never said anything about a MERA in the stable! 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 02:48:03 pm »
Yes, I have to agree. I have gone through numerous control modules and a couple coils over the years. My garage attic is packed with spare Fiero parts as well as an entire GT body WITH T-TOPS and I do have a couple ignition modules and coils in stock for that very reason.
Good eye! You have a keen sense for picking out a MERA from those other 308 kit cars. That is an 88 MERA, 5 speed, leather with t-tops! I don