Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fiero 1227730 ECM conversion  (Read 64818 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fiero 1227730 ECM conversion
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »
I have trouble seeing videos on my PC.  Usually just spotty still pics of random scenes throughout the video.  I could tell that the Mera was a T-top.  I'm not surprised that even a stock 2.8 could beat a Mera.  The Mera is much heavier.

I would suspect the O-2 sensor, too.  I wouldn't think it's the IAC at this point.  I saw lots of other things in the list of parts/upgrades that may be the culprit.  Low temp switch doesn't let the engine stay up to the operating temperature that the ECM is looking for so the coolant temp sensor is constantly telling the ECM to enrichen the mixture.  Spark plugs could be an issue, too.  The large majority feels that the Fiero performs best on the stock Champion plugs.  Even a 3.4 upgrade in my 87 runs very well with everything stock except the injectors.

I'm still cannot see your pictures, even by clicking on your attachment link.  I have to be signed in, then they appear as small pictures that can be enlarged.  Before you get a lot of pictures posted, may I suggest that you download the PIP program that TopNotch has provided?  The pictures will show up without using the attachments and other options tab and they won't go away unless you delete them from the posts. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
I downloaded the PIP program and it times out after I click post so I'm thinking that the firewall settings on my work computer won't allow me to post pics. I'll have to try it when I get home.

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »
Ok so I

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 06:50:34 pm »
I hit a roadblock with PIP until I opened the PIP screen and pasted   http://gafieroclub.org/pics/pip/  into where it says Images will be posted in:

I don't know if anyone here can help you diagnose the problem.  We had one person who did the 7730 swap, but he had someone else do it for him.  The 4.9 and 3800 doesn't use that ECM.  I don't know if Raydar can give any advice.  He's done several 3.4 swaps and has been into his 4.9 in pretty good detail.  Maybe he'll step in with some guidance. 

Did you follow the prescribed method of burping the cooling system?  Does the temp gauge hand sit at the 100 mark when you first turn on the ignition?  An infrared thermometer might help to verify or dispell the overheating issue.  I picked up one at Harbour Freight for $30.  But one minor problem isn't bad.  The rich burn may go away after you've driven the car enough to 'teach' the ECM.  I glanced back through the thread but didn't see, but just out of curiosity, what injectors are you using?

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 10:36:25 am »
Yeah I pasted the link in and I can get some images to upload to PIP. I get an error uploading the ones taken by my SLR even after compressing them so I may need to compress them more but other random pics upload just fine. It

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 10:56:01 am »
There was a break in the rainy weather Saturday which gave me the opportunity to take the newly upgraded Fiero out and see what it was like. My first trip was to my parents

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »
Congratulations on a successful 7730 conversion.  I'm sure many will find your how-to video helpful, too. 

Now, with your conversion done and when you finish the install on the 3.1, start making plans with your parents to bring both of them down to Run For The Hills on the 3rd weekend of September.  It's lots more fun than autocrossing them.  Maybe closer to Watkins Glenn type driving. 

Robs Fieros

• President of the East Tennessee Fiero Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 06:08:16 pm »
Just make sure your a/c works, it's 103 degrees up here.
President of East Tennessee Fiero Club

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 12:27:26 pm »
Not so much of an issue with heat yet where as rain has been more of a pain this year. It's been raining all week. On Monday a tornato touched down about a mile from my work. It was an F0 but it still caused some damage.  I wish I could have seen it. My AC actually doesn't work at the moment. I blew out my compressor a few years ago switching it to R134a and it wasn't one of the either/or compressors. I did get a whole summer out of it before it died though. I have a new compressor but I have to pay someone to install and charge it. I can add freon if it needs it but other than that the whole AC system pushes the limits of my knowledge.

As for the coming down to the Run For The Hills event, I will definitely try and make an effort to come. Where is it held at? Georgia is a bit of a haul from Delaware but I'll try and swing it. Maybe I'll make a road trip out of it and swing by Athens to visit the hometown of my favorite band R.E.M. I'm down for any kind of driving event as long as I can drive  8)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »
After the AC system has been vacuumed, the receiver-dryer and orifice tube replaced, and proper oil has been put back into the system, it should only take 26 oz. of R134a.  Many try to replace the full 32 oz as required for R12, but the expansion rate is greater for 134a.  It only requires approx 80% of the amount of R12.  Adding the full 32 oz. will cause the system to cool very poorly due to insufficient expansion of the refrigerant and will also overpressure the system. 

Since Georgia Fieros took over the Run For The Hills, the events have been held mostly in the North Georgia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina areas with the host hotels being anywhere from Dawsonville, Dahlonega, Helen and Clayton, Georgia, Franklin, Cherokee and Asheville, NC.  We've had people come from such distances as New England, California, Texas, Wisconsin and Michigan and even Australia to drive in the event. 

Usually 150 to +/- 200 miles of the most up and down twistiest roads we can find.  There are a couple of short videos on our home page. 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:15 am »
I will definitely try to make it down for the Run For The Hills in Sept. I saw some of the pics and it looks like fun.
Thanks for the breakdown on the AC charging. I don

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 09:26:53 pm »
It probably would have been nice to have my video log of the 7730 swap finished and posted before posting this video but oh well what can you do. This was an Autocross race my brother and I did with our Fiero's last weekend. It was the first autoX race we've done with Fiero's so it was an extremely fun and learning event. Unfortunately we had a lot of GoPro failures throughout the day so the multi-view camera set-up didn't go as we hoped. I would have spent more time making a better quality video had I had the footage I wanted.

My Fiero is the blue 87 Fiero GT with a 3.4 pushrod conversion (from a 95 Camaro) combine with my recently completed 1277330 ECM upgrade with DIS. My goal was to have this swap done before the race. The transmission is the standard TH125 automatic transmission with a shift kit. The car also has Polly Urethane handling kit and engine mounts but the suspension is currently still all stock. The brakes have been slightly upgraded to carbo-met pads, new calipers all around, vented rotors and steel braided brake lines.

My brother's car is the black 86 Fiero SE (2.8 ) with the standard TH125 automatic transmission as well. For the most part his car is considered stock. His upgrades included the Hypertech performance chip, low temp fan switch, Carbomet pads, vented rotors and his biggest upgrade which is a custom made free flowing exhaust system. The suspension is all stock.

As with most Fiero owners the upgrades are always on going. My first round was more to learn the track, the way the car responded to the track and to just get an overall feel of what I can push the limit to. As with my car (The Blue Car) My times got better with each round. I finished 2nd in my class for the day! Not bad and gives a nice plug to the Fiero! My brother was a bit braver out of the gate pushing his limits with every round. In some cases he ended the round with an OC (off-Course) but he's definitely built a good foundation to build on knowing the limits of the car and what to do to improve them.  8)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2013, 08:04:16 am »
I've been on vacation for the past week and just getting a chance to catch up on things.  Very impressive.  Looks like all the upgrades are working well for you. 

Is this the first time you've done any performance driving with it?  Next step is to get it on a road track.  If you could find a track where SCCA runs they will certainly offer something that will get you on the track for some run time.  Even with all of the mountain driving I've done during RFTH's, there's nothing like being in an arena where you don't have to worry about other traffic entering or coming around a curve on your side of the road. 

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 03:40:55 pm »
Thanks! Yes, the upgrades breathe new life into a car several mechanics told me to just throw away (literally) just a few years ago. It was a car I drove in high school back in 97. It

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 03:50:35 pm »
Oh and to answer your other question, yes, this is the first time I