Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: The Warrior Project  (Read 70120 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: The Warrior Project
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2015, 06:59:48 pm »
Lifetime membership for Paul! 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »

We did a press release last June and I sent it out to about 15 newspapers plus several TV stations and radio stations.  The Buford Post of The American Legion posted it on their web page but we never got a hit from any of them.  I also distributed it to 6 auto parts stores in my area and nothing from that, either.  I sent Paul a copy of the file so that it could be printed and shown down there.  You might get a copy from him.  In the Word Document file, you can change the date from June 2014 to June 2015. 

Can you send me another copy?  Can't seem to find the original. 
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2015, 05:01:07 pm »
OK, I'll send it to both of you and change the date before sending. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2015, 07:47:41 pm »

I've been thinking we need to develop a timeline for getting the car to the Marine as quickly as possible. 

With that as the goal, what follows are problems & predictions we may need to deal with.

1. When can the Club fix up the car and transport it to Augusta (Actually Eagle Paint & Body in Grovetown)?  I'm not looking for an exact date, just a good guess.  Friday the 12th?  Monday the 15th?  Maybe the 19th?  I need to tell Eagle something.

2. After Eagle paints the car I'm guessing they'll want it off their lot.  They may want to display it out front with a banner saying all the great stuff they did.  They certainly earned the right.  Anyway, we can't count on them to hold onto the vehicle or transport the car to where it's being given to the Marine.  They may do so, but we can't count on it.  BTW, both Ron & I volunteer our garages to hold the car until the hand-over takes place.  Not sure how to move it to either place since we can't legally drive it.

3.  How to present the car to the Marine?  At the next C&C on July 4th?  At Eagle P&B?  At Aiken/Augusta Warrior project?  Another show?  I'm guessing (I do that a lot) the 4th of July Cars & Coffee in Augusta would be the best time and place to present the car.  Eagle shows up every month.  We should get a good crowd.  Other than Veterans Day there is no better day to make the presentation.  The date lines up well with when everything should be completed.  The only problem I see is that it takes place Saturday morning in Augusta.  This means a lot of hard working folks in the Atlanta area will have to travel down I-20 to see the presentation.  Is that OK?  Also, all sorts of folks important to the transition might not be available.  This is all a guess.

4.  Who contacts the press/TV? 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:47 am »
1.    I suppose we could pull the car down to them, whether it’s finished or not.  Let them decide if they want to remove the belt molding and aero trim package.  If they do, we’ll need to secure fasteners from The Fiero Store to reattach them.  The hood, headlight doors, rear fascia and tail lights, deck lid and spoiler should all be removed.  The engine vent grills will need to be painted and the quarter window inner trim pieces need to be removed to be painted, too.  Mirrors need to be removed and painted.  Drip rails need to be removed.  It will probably need alignment but the two major things that need done before it’s moved are the rear brakes and the oil leak.  I have a tube that I’ll bring to the meeting Saturday for relay over to the car.  Might it be possible that you and Ron can repair the oil leak if we get the car to you quickly?  It could be done after painting. 
2.   If Eagle wants to display the car, we have a paper banner with our logo and Georgia Fieros Warrior Project on it.  They could display that during the day and good weather, along with whatever promotion they want to put alongside it.  We would certainly put them on our website as a preferred vendor.  If you have the title in hand, I think you might be able to drive it from the shop to your home, explaining that you recently bought the car, sent it to the body shop and are just getting it back.  Maybe even telling the officer who the car's for might get some special favors if you're stopped.
3.   July 4th would be an ideal time, but we don’t want to press Eagle to do a quick job.  Once it’s out of the paint shop, everything needs to be put back on the car.  We could make the presentation at any of the C&C shows since Eagle is always there.  Maybe toward the end  of a show so we have a maximum crowd and any of our people who want to attend can be there.  Ideally, the President and Vice President should be there to make the presentation.  That may be impossible for Ron R to do.
4.   I’m not familiar with TV and press in the Augusta area so that would need to be handled from your end.  I can try Fox News in Atlanta to see if they might be interested.  Are you within their coverage area?  Maybe Kim or Jeanette could get some coverage.  I'll call Jeanette to see.

Our biggest problem up here is that the car is so far away.  Only Raydar is close by.  The rest of us are 75 miles or more away, so a weekend day is the only time anyone can possibly get to the car.  I can make arrangements for someone to pick up my granddaughter for one afternoon while I bring the car down there.

Paul, can you show them your car and explain what needs to be removed and get their thoughts on it?  My experience is that when these things aren’t removed for painting, the paint soon begins to peel around the belt trim and the aero trim. 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2015, 11:56:32 am »
I've had experience removing and replacing panels. I could handle that part. I found the plastic rivets at harbor freight, along with the special gun to drive them in. The only part that I'm worried about removing is the windshield roof piece.  They crack easy.
I can tackle the oil leak, brakes, whatever.....could even do the alignment too (under a shade tree, with a 6 pack, so the angles look right, of course)

What about if they ask about the theme if the paint?  What if they did some kind of marine theme?  I wonder if any interior upholstery business would like to get in on the action?  Maybe do the radio, shifter, and saddle in leather?
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:05 pm »
I believe a theme paint scheme would limit him should he ever want to sell it or if he doesn't fulfill our requirements and we have to take the car back.  To prevent some from getting it and selling it, we've talked about requiring them to keep it for a minimum of 2 years with the club's assistance in maintaining the car.  We will need to draw up an agreement.

The roof panel doesn't have to come off.  The only things needing to be removed are those I mentioned.  I had mine repainted and only removed the aero trim, rear fascia and tail lights, spoiler, deck lid, headlight doors and front hood, and the mirrors and drip rails.  The brakes should be fixed before the car is moved.  The calipers are just hanging without pads. 

Leather interior is a good idea but GrannyLinda is currently seeking a donation from Mr. Mike's for our RFTH fundraiser raffle.  We might be pushing a bit to ask for a second donation.  There is a vendor on Pennocks that makes some nice console trim pieces, but I don't remember who that is.

I already have the plastic rivet gun and some rivets, plus some of the clips that hold the trim in place.  I don't believe I have any clips for the belt molding, though. 

I believe the club can afford to send the car to an alignment shop and provide a 6 pack to you after you've brought the car back. 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »
Perfect!  I'm in it for the 6 pack!
Ron

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2015, 09:09:03 pm »

The Eagle P&B owner seemed to know about Fieros when I offered to show him mine at Cars & Coffee.  He's been in business 18 years and must have done P&B work before starting his own business.  This may not be his first Fiero.  FireoFool, feel free to speak with Brook when you bring the car down.  Any idea when that will be?

I'd be happy to work with f85gtron to fix the oil leak and brakes as long as he isn't doing it at 3 AM or 11 PM as he generally seems to do.  Maybe after work around 5 or 6 PM or on the weekend.  But Ron's the brain and it's up to him to say if he'll fix the car.

I'm concerned about this two year ownership rule.  I understand where the idea comes from, but I'd prefer to hand over the car and ask the Marine to let the club know when he intends to sell it and ask for right of refusal.  Maybe we should ask Aiken/Augusta Warrior Project if they think the Marine is just going to sell it?  After the car is given away the Club no longer owns it.  It's not good taste to give something away with strings.  Especially to a Marine veteran.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2015, 09:41:14 pm »
Paul,
Are you trying to get at my 6 pack?  :o

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2015, 09:52:35 pm »
I talked with Raydar a short while ago and he's going to try to get over to do the brakes before Saturday.  They must be done before we can put the car on the dolly.  There's no way to move it out of the garage until they're done.  They just need pads and the calipers and E-brakes hooked back up. 

The oil leak is severe enough that you probably couldn't drive it to your homes. 

When I first spoke with the people in Augusta, I let them know that there would be a requirement to keep the car for 2 years.  I don't remember which, but one of the ladies understood the reason behind the requirement and apparently are proceeding.  It's up to the board and members if we want to hold to this requirement or take a chance that someone will sell the car to make a quick buck to be used for other needs. 

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2015, 08:43:04 am »
How do we handle taxes, tags, title and insurance?
We should have a legal and binding contract on the 'keep it 2 years' bit that also relieves the club of any liability or litigation.
It would have to be written by a lawyer (a legal one), certified by a Notary and filed with the state as a bill of sale.
If someone were to sell the car the club could still be held liable for any incidents.
Is there a GA DOT Safety Inspection that can be done to protect the club?
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2015, 09:39:51 am »
Tag, taxes, title and insurance would be the responsibility of the recipient.  There's no burden on our part to provide that.  The information I have on the individual that Augusta Warrior Project Group proposed is that he's a 27 year old Marine, suffering from PTSD, has a truck in need of a $2800 transmission, can't afford to purchase and replace it, and needs transportation to work, school and therapy.

The Club can put a lien on the back of the title.  No monetary amount is required to be stated.  If we have to state any monetary amount, we could set a fair price for the car.  We don't have to provide any proof that he ever paid any money to remove the lien.  When he registers the car in  his name, that lien will be registered with The State.  At the end of 2 years, we notify The State that the lien has been satisfied and he then owes The Club nothing.

He is a licensed and capable driver and with the car registered in his name, I don't think we could be held responsible for anything. 

If the members have any worries that we might be responsible for anything, maybe we could just sign the car over to The Augusta Warrior Project Group, let them give it to whomever without any stipulations, and then we can forget about the car and be out of the picture.  It's something we need to fully discuss at Saturday's meeting.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2015, 01:44:03 pm »
All this is looking good. I was not aware that we had a marine in line for the car. This is a good thing. At the meeting saturday, I see that we have 2 items of discussion , RFTH and the project car. The 4th of July delivery date is  going to be a tough one for me as some other plans had already been put on the table. We will see what happens. Great work everybody in getting this project to come together and to completion.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2015, 05:07:06 pm »

Putting in my comments now since I won't be at the meeting:

I'm in favor of handing the car over as quickly as possible.  Here's my reasoning:

* I don't want to track the new owner for two years.  Doubt if anyone else does.
* The club might forget to remove the lien in two years.
* If he sells the car it might go to a Fiero fan, which is good.
* If he keeps the car, he might become a Fiero fan, which is good.

What's the bad side to walking away after the handover?
What's the good side of NOT walking away?