VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Icm  (Read 16281 times)

scottb

• View Profile
Re: Icm
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 05:02:03 pm »
After many heave-hoes and much straining and grunting I got the distributor pulled out. ..... and I managed to pretty much destroy the upper bushing trying to get it apart. Oh well, I will have to pull the dist. out of the parts car. I also may have found 1 source of the many rattles in the car, heat shield over the crossover is missing bolt.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 06:00:12 pm »
Scott, I think I have a rebuildable distributor.  It only needs a pickup coil. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 08:31:09 pm »
It looks I will need to take you up on that offer Mr. Sewell. ... the engine in the parts car is locked up and the dist. wont turn enough to come out.  Let me know what you want for it and how you want to do the transfer of possession .
Thanks, Scott

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »
I had trouble getting the one out of the Formula Fastback.  Took a cats paw nail puller and went underneath.  You just have to be careful not to pry up on the aluminum plate where the cap and module fasten to.  You could bend it or break it loose.

What cannot be accomplished with skill and finesse (your way), can usually be accomplished with ignorance and brute force (my way).  ;)

Just kidding Scott.

Edit - I missed page 2. I just realized that you got it out. Sort of.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:41:21 pm by Raydar »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 09:28:27 pm »
Actually, I have one that won't have to be rebuilt.  It has a good pickup coil in it.  All you will need to do is set the air gap on the pickup points.  It's been rolled around in my stuff and the air gaps don't match.  I think the O-ring is good, too.  I'm pretty occupied.  Can you come and get it? 

Anyone know what the air gap is supposed to be?

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 08:12:36 pm »
The earliest i can get it is Friday. 

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 10:22:24 am »
Distributor has been changed out. I also put on a new cap and rotor button, it fired up on the first try. It took a bit to get the timing set, I would tighten the bolt and the dist. would move. Persistence paid off. Took the car for a joy ride and the hesistation/stumble was still there. It seemed to smooth out at the end of the ride. I did unhook the battery before I left thinking there may still be a code buried in the ecm. Will know more this afternoon. Next project is to add more foam to the seat bottom.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 02:33:49 pm »
Put some extra foam in the seat then you won't have to redo it after Run For The Hills. 

I don't know if you know about it, but you can disconnect the ECM to clear it by disconnecting that barrel connector that comes off the C500.  That's the ECM power supply, and it doesn't kill other things like radio memory. 

Hesitation might have been because it hadn't re-learned the sensor settings, or it could be a weak MAP sensor.  A leak in the line from the MAP to the fuel pressure regulator can do it, too.  And the TPS.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 03:10:02 pm »
After reconnecting the battery it seems to be running better than it has in a loooooooooooooooooong time. No stumbling or hesitation on todays joy ride.

I redid the drivers seat with 2 inches of new foam.... that may be a bit much but it sure is much more comfortable. Time will tell if I overdid it.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 03:18:32 pm »
And stumble/stalling/dieing was back this morning.  After conferring with the resident Fiero expert, it was determined tgat the ICM was indeed on its way out. New module was obtained from NAPA (made in USA) and installed. Subsequent joyride provided no symptoms at all. Fingers are still crossed.