Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Fans  (Read 14323 times)

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Fans
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:16 am »
Is there a fan/blower that is mounted in the wall between the trunk and the engine.  If there is how can you tell if it is working

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Fans
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:17:08 pm »
Behind the carpet in the right upper end of the trunk of the 85-87 V6 Fieros, there is a blower motor that provides cooling air to the ignition coil, distributor and alternator.  This motor should run at any time the radiator cooling fan is running.  It can be activated by high engine temperature, or manually by turning on any one of the AC functions.  To check it, the engine doesn't need to be running.  Just turn the ignition to ON.  Then press the MAX or NORM AC button.  The radiator cooling fan and the engine bay fan should come on.  Place your hand in front of the metal tube that's pointed at the ignition coil and you should feel the airflow. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:19:23 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:27 pm »
Great, checked it and it is working.  Next question how forcefull should it be.  I just felt some air flow.  If I needed to get to it How do you get to it

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:49 pm »
I've heard that in some Fieros these fans are wired backwards, so that air is sucked into the tube instead of blown out of it. If this is the case, you can reverse the connections on the fan motor to correct it.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:43:25 pm »
The flow isn't really forceful.  It's main intent, I believe, is to provide cooler air to the electric components.  It is possible that the seal between the fan and the ductwork has deteriorated, allowing air leaks into the right fender cavity.  Also, rodents will often build their condominiums inside the ductwork.  The tubes can be unbolted from the trunk wall for some limited visual inspection.  I suppose a very good shop vacuum attached to the tube pointing at the coil might be used to try to pull out anything within the ductwork.  You would need to block off the tube end at the alternator to get the air to be pulled through from the fan area. 

The fan can be accessed by pulling the top of the trunk carpet down from the upper right end of the trunk.  It's tucked up underneath the top of the fender.  Once pulled down, the blower motor is right there.  You can also see the rubber seal where the motor mates up to the ductwork.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers