Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Break upgrade options?  (Read 14859 times)

Spartanzz

• View Profile
Break upgrade options?
« on: July 06, 2021, 10:08:43 am »
So, I have started the process of ordering parts to start getting things replaced on this 87 GT.

But, first hurdle is the break system. The primary thing I am attempting to figure out is calipers and rotors. I know the front rotors are built in hubs, but i would like to find an option where I can turn those rotors in just hub and use a more normalized rotor setup for future maintenance ease. What are my options?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Break upgrade options?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 11:52:27 am »
Look at the Grand Am upgrade at The Fiero Store.  May fit your needs.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 12:09:56 pm »
Look at the Grand Am upgrade at The Fiero Store.  May fit your needs.

I didnt see a kit like that on TFS :(

but i was able to find the grand am kit writeup. Basically buy 87 grand am calipers and rotors, cut off rotors from old hubs, may need to grind down fiero front caliper mounts to not rub the rotor, and everything should hook up nicely. Figured now is as good a time as any to update at least the front to make life easier later on.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 12:10:54 pm »
Although those rear calipers are EXPENSIVE

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Brake upgrade options?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 01:41:25 pm »
If you're going to do the Grand Am upgrade on the front, consider doing the Seville upgrade on the back. This consists of 85 Seville rear calipers, the same Grand Am front rotors as used in the front upgrade, and brackets made by DPWood on Pennock's for attaching the Seville calipers to the rear caliper positions on your car. This gives you better rear brakes, including e-brakes.
I had done this upgrade on my 86 SE, which my younger brother now has, and did a write-up on Pennock's about how I did it.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 01:53:44 pm »
If you're going to do the Grand Am upgrade on the front, consider doing the Seville upgrade on the back. This consists of 85 Seville rear calipers, the same Grand Am front rotors as used in the front upgrade, and brackets made by DPWood on Pennock's for attaching the Seville calipers to the rear caliper positions on your car. This gives you better rear brakes, including e-brakes.
I had done this upgrade on my 86 SE, which my younger brother now has, and did a write-up on Pennock's about how I did it.
Awesome!

Few questions though:

1. Does this kit allow use of the factory ebrake cables?
2. will they fit under the factory GT wheels? or should i look into aftermarket?
3. does it matter which engine option for the seville?
4. does it use the factory fiero brake lines?

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 01:57:52 pm »
also any changes for the master cylinder?

Maybe if you can toss me a link to the writeup? :)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 02:12:44 pm »
Few questions though:

2. will they fit under the factory GT wheels? or should i look into aftermarket?
1. Yes, if you do it my way.
2. Yes.
3. I don't think so.
4. Yes.
5. No change to the master cylinder, although some recommend it. I used the stock master, and it worked fine.
My method is farther down in this link. All of the pictures in that thread are dead except mine, because I hosted them on our GA Fiero website. It refers to the upgrade as the Grand Am e-brake upgrade, because of the rotors used. And the original way of doing the upgrade did require e-brake cable mods, but not my method.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 02:10:02 pm »
Few questions though:

1. Yes, if you do it my way.
2. Yes.
3. I don't think so.
4. Yes.
5. No change to the master cylinder, although some recommend it. I used the stock master, and it worked fine.
My method is farther down in this link. All of the pictures in that thread are dead except mine, because I hosted them on our GA Fiero website. It refers to the upgrade as the Grand Am e-brake upgrade, because of the rotors used. And the original way of doing the upgrade did require e-brake cable mods, but not my method.

Ok, i sent an email to DPWood on PFF and also tossed him an email. we will see if i get back from him.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 03:18:12 pm »
Perhaps DPWood could give you dimensions of the bracket if he no longer makes them.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 03:31:44 pm »
Perhaps DPWood could give you dimensions of the bracket if he no longer makes them.

that would be nice. but we shall see. for now, i have the grand am front stuff ordered and on the way. so Worst case ill just get recond rear fiero calipers and stick to stock for now. Just trying to get the brake system working so i can safely roll it out of the garage to hose it down and clean out all the junk and bugs before i start sticking my head in places LOL

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 04:02:22 pm »
First place is to remove the heater motor and clean out all the debris that's probably inside the ductwork.  Remove the heater ballast and clean it out, too.  You might even remove the heater box underneath the dash and look for debris there, too.  Even after I've done that on my cars, I still get leaves, pine straw, and maple seeds coming out of my vents.  Do this before you ever put power to the electrical system. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 04:28:37 pm »
First place is to remove the heater motor and clean out all the debris that's probably inside the ductwork.  Remove the heater ballast and clean it out, too.  You might even remove the heater box underneath the dash and look for debris there, too.  Even after I've done that on my cars, I still get leaves, pine straw, and maple seeds coming out of my vents.  Do this before you ever put power to the electrical system.

This will happen for sure! The plan is to COMPLETLY tear down the interior. Want to make damn sure I get everything that has gathered or crawled under the dash, small spaces, hell any space that could be accessed.

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 06:20:22 pm »

Good news! he got back to me and still makes the brackets! He said he wont be able to make a set until next week sometime. So, i may order a set here soon from him so that i have them ready to go!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 06:32:50 pm »
Excellent!