Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Andy's never ending weird engine problems  (Read 37341 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: sputtering and backfiring
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 03:47:59 pm »
I went down and looked at the Firebird.  It hasn't been wrecked, so that's not the cause of it being there.  It had 187,000 miles on it.  Too many for a drop-in.  It'd need to be rebuilt first.

All Pull-A-Part V6 motors are $127 with everything on them.  I think it's about $27 to get a 30 day return warranty, and $20 core charge.  If you go to pullapart.com you can put in a request for a car and you'll be automatically notified when one comes in.  I keep a request for Firebird, Camaro, Fiero all the time. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 04:30:53 pm »
yeah i got it set up to set up to notify me as soon as a fiero is in, i need some interior, minor parts as well

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 06:49:59 pm »
We've all got parts, just let us know what you need. Ofcourse I've got more than most but I'm running my business selling Fiero parts and fixing Fiero's and selling a few cars.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 06:50:23 pm »
Go to TheMarket and post your needs.  It may be that some of the members have the parts.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 10:37:35 am »
i got the car home. still runs bad. i think i'm gonna just park it untill tax time.

so far i've replaced:
-distributor
-ignition module
-rotor button
-distributor cap
-wires
-plugs
-idle air control valve
-timed to 12 degrees (i know it's needs to 10, but it's sounds like it runs better at 12)
-plugs gapped to .45mm

i'm thinking i might play with spark gap, buy a coil, and may try swapping the ECM
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 04:28:56 pm by cogcaviz24 »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 06:23:06 pm »
Have you checked the trouble codes again to see if any more have been set?  Wasn't the car running OK when you bought it and drove it home?  At what point did it start to give you serious trouble.  What did you do to it, just before it started running really bad? 

Setting the timing at 12 will make you loose a little on the top end, though it might give you a little faster takeoff.  The car should idle at about 950 rpm when warmed up, and in park or neutral.

A coil or ECM may not help with the problem.  Before purchasing either, you might borrow one to install.  I have a spare ECM for a manual V6, and I'm sure we could come up with a coil, even if we pull it off our car and put it onto yours just to test.  I might be able to help you out Friday or Saturday, if you've got an inside area to work.

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 11:09:50 pm »
Have you checked the trouble codes again to see if any more have been set?  Wasn't the car running OK when you bought it and drove it home?  At what point did it start to give you serious trouble.  What did you do to it, just before it started running really bad? 

no codes now. it did drive fine in the beginning other than about 20 to 30 minute trips it would lose power and backfire. i took it to the shop to diagnose that issue and on the way there, the ignition module went out. i replaced the module. i also fixed the exhaust leak(double manifold gasket), welded the cat(wasn't sealed good).

Setting the timing at 12 will make you loose a little on the top end, though it might give you a little faster takeoff.  The car should idle at about 950 rpm when warmed up, and in park or neutral.

it needs all the help it can get on take off, it still feels like i have an anchor.

A coil or ECM may not help with the problem.  Before purchasing either, you might borrow one to install.  I have a spare ECM for a manual V6, and I'm sure we could come up with a coil, even if we pull it off our car and put it onto yours just to test.  I might be able to help you out Friday or Saturday, if you've got an inside area to work.

i'm gonna try swapping the coil from my roommate's S10 tomorrow( if it will fit, i believe it will, it's a 2.8L) and see it will run better. if it does, i should have one by the end of the week. i may be free on Saturday. my dad's gotta a decent shop

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 01:26:59 pm »
You should check all your electrical connections (unplug & clean), & especially your grounds.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 05:02:36 pm »
i tried the coil from my roommate's S10. it ran the same, crappy. i'll check the grounds later today

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 06:15:08 pm »
So basically it's running fine with the exception of the ankor your pulling? Have you checked your fuel pressure? You should be pumping 39 to 41 psi., this would cause a lean condition and no power.
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008, 11:03:40 pm »
no it still runs bad. it sounds better in park than drive. the fuel pressure is good, one of the first thing i check. it smells like its running rich. i left the shop just under a half tank. now the car is on empty at the house. it is 16 miles from one to the other other
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 11:11:56 pm by cogcaviz24 »

RobsFieros

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:19 pm »
In that case I'd have to go with Charlie, check your exhaust. Sounds like your converter is stopped up.
Robert Finley
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 12:34:05 am »
one of the things i did before it started running bad was weld the cat. before, i could spin the cat all the way around on the inlet and outlet pipes(looked like it was replace with a junkyard cat. it was clamped on). maybe this weekend i'll cut the cat completly off, and replace it with pipe.

and i didnt get to check grounds, it got dark too quick
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:52:39 am by cogcaviz24 »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 07:00:23 pm »
If you want to get together Saturday, I have a spare OH 2 sensor that we can install.  Also, it's possible that your Coolant Temperature Sensor has failed.  The car will usually run good, until it gets warmed up.  If it has failed on the cold side, it will run rich.  How rich depends upon how far down the scale it's reading.  You can unplug it to test it.  It's just underneath the thermostat housing neck, screwed into the intake, and it sits horizontally, pointing at the passenger fenderwell.  It should run better if it's unplugged.  That is, if it's failed and is causing the rich burn. 

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 09:24:30 pm »
saturday is fine, but i may not have access to the shop(my dad says it may be occupied all weekend). we can do what we can in the drive way. weather looks like it's gonna be decent. i'll check the coolant temp. sensor tommorrow. let me know if things change.