Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Andy's never ending weird engine problems  (Read 37329 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: sputtering and backfiring
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2009, 10:23:38 am »
I need directions to your house.  Email me at cmmsewell at gmail dot com or call me at six seven eight-four six seven-one seven four two
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »
thanks for comming by charles. always to put a face with text on the internet. weather permitting, i will be cutting the cat off tomorrow

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2009, 10:49:57 pm »
Did you two figure it out?
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2009, 08:43:32 am »
The forecast had been for a nice partly cloudy day but it rained most all day.  We draped a shipping pad over us, and also stood under umbrellas as we worked and talked. 

The car still has a slight miss, and it's running rich.  I unplugged the CTS, and it seemed to help a bit, but I could still smell it as I followed him down the road. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2009, 07:57:36 pm »
i got the cat replaced with a pipe. and today, i took a buddies house. up untill last week, he built engines for Panos racing and is a Genious whe it comes to cars. anyway, he looked over the engine, blocked the EGR, inspected the intake manifold, found a major air leak(thething would run with the TB blocked), checked TDC, and played with the timing. he got it set the way he liked it and told me to take it for a spin..... it couldn't even climb his driveway!! sounds great, but still no power. it is sucking gas like it was a starving. he thinks it's ether a fuel injector problem or the map sensor. so it's stuck at his house for a bit

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2009, 11:06:10 pm »
I just posted in your Map Sensor thread that I thought you had injector problems.  You need to check the fuel pressure to see if it's around 42 psi with no bleed down. 

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2009, 11:14:18 pm »
we checked the fuel pressure, it was 41PSI. cant say about bleed off, i'll get my buddy robert to check tomorrow.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 09:28:55 pm »
Andy, did you get a chance to change out those parts?  Any results?  I just talked with Ron about the engine out here in my garage and he said you could borrow the TPS to use as a test before buying one.

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 10:44:19 pm »
yea, i marked mine and the two you gave me(1,2) with a pencil. swaped to 1 and didnt notice a defferance. put 2 in and did notice a minor improvement. changed the spark gap back to 45. it managed to get up the drive way, and got it home. it used the 1/4 tank to get home and still has no power.

i am getting very tired of this lemon. i am considering taking my wife's advise and put it up for sale. i wont have a job by the end of the week, so I have no funding for a money pit and one less car will a little less strain on a empty wallet. Anyone need a parts car?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2009, 12:09:36 am »
Let's try the tps before you give up.  You said that it gave more problems when it was plugged up.  I can pull the one out here and meet you half way to give it to you.  I think we can get the car straightened out without much cost.

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 06:23:18 am »
i was extremely frustrated when i posted that. i dont think it will sale it so quickly. BUT everything has a price tag  ;)

ratfink

Re: Andy's never ending weird engine problems
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 11:46:09 am »
When You get it running right You will forget these bad times! Hang in there,It's fixable! :)

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009, 01:42:11 pm »
When You get it running right You will forget these bad times! Hang in there,It's fixable! :)
And it will probably be something simple....
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2009, 08:48:00 am »
Are you sure that the distributor is not 180 degrees out. I've just read back over all your posts and they will run at 180 out but not good. And when you replaced your IAC did you check the length of the pintal extension? It shouldn't be over 1 1/8" from the gasket to the point before installing.

To check your distributor you need to pull the no. 1 plug and get someone to bump it over while your finger is in the no.1 spark plug hole so you can feel when it on the compression stroke, then turn your crank over to get it on the timing mark and check the location of the number 1 plug wire and pull the cap and see if the rotor button is pointing directly at that plug wire location on the cap.

If you don't get it fixed soon, I'm going to have to take a road trip... ;D
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:38 pm »
like i said, i didn't install the IAC myself, my dad did, so i'll check on it. my buddy robert checked to see if mark was correct at TDC, but we never took the cap of at the same time to see if it was pointing at # 1.